CV outs back into Inputs or Expression input

Hello!

http://www.elektron-users.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=28&func=view&id=213870&catid=9&limit=10&limitstart=0

Anybody using this trick?

Have been making some sounds out of it but feel it’s a bit hard making a solid kick.

Soundcloud links very welcome! Walktroughs as well!

Anselmi around still?

omg REALLY ?

you can do that? a closed loop from the CV out into the Audio In, and create a BaseDrumKick?

do I get this right?

just a Ordinary (mono) Cable will work?

(thanks for posting the link from the old forum)

Good find. I saw this thread before, but never tried it myself. Now i’m trying, but all i get is double dry click sound for every trigger of the sequencer, and no LFO of envelope or amp parameters changing it’s nature…tried to follow the description, no luck. Would be nice to get some extra FM-ish percussion sounds…

1 Like

I just started to ask myself what would elektron HQ say if you tell them you used a Voltage thingy for the A U D I O I N P U T S to generate sound, and now the analogfour is kinda broken …

I couldnt argue if they refused warranty for that to be honest

There’s no reason why this would break the audio inputs.

Well, there’s no way I’m risking 10v in, I tried it a long time ago, just set the max level at about 1.3v and play away with no concerns … guaranteed

Well, there’s no way I’m risking 10v in, I tried it a long time ago, just set the max level at about 1.3v and play away with no concerns … guaranteed [/quote]
Don’t take my word for it, but I am pretty sure that there’s protection on the inputs.
You’re still want to set it fairly low unless you like your clicks to be CLIPPED! :wink:

I would REALLY like to know if this CV - Audio In will work or wreck my A4 …

you know what guys … just for shits and giggles …

I will open a support ticket!

lets see how long it takes them to reply … I just say right here and right now:

not before Overbridge arrives

anybody else in (please place your bets now) ?

EDIT: support ticket (6665) opened October 27th 2014

This came up here not so long ago… my A4 still works perfectly but don’t hold me to it if yours f*s up :-/
I guess I took a chance. Was good fun though! More info here -

thanks for posting this!!!
still I am waiting some more …
btw I made an awesome track just recently with only A4 and schmoof drum sounds… it is in the our music section as a Video Performance

I’d said on this thread I’ve done it, a quick search and you’d have found more…throwing in a support ticket whilst there are folk waiting months doesn’t sound like a great idea, for anyone

Keep the volts down like I said, what’s the issue !?

hi guys, I just reveived 2nd word from the mothership regarding the inputs and voltages, I am very happy with the answer and that elektron took the time to answer me!

below the answre from my ticket …

The Analog Four inputs are +19dBu, this corresponds to around 20V peak to peak(+/-10V)

Since the internal circuit provides +/- 12V internally and the inputs are diode bridged to the power rail it is safe to input up to +/- 12V to the inputs. However the input signal will start clipping around +/- 10V.

If you input above +/- 12V the diodes will save the input from over voltage but might damage the power supply if it constantly exceeds +/- 12V.

Regards,
Olle

3 Likes

While I’ve found the A4 Synthesis to be severely lacking in terms of subbass, there is a trick I’ve been doing with my techno tracks that gives you that great bass to layer under kicks and such with the added caveat that it is it’s own track not consuming any synthesis tracks. The CV LFOs go into the audible range so that is the basis of this trick.

I got this from an old thread on either this website or elektron users but I figure many new people here so:

Cable from CVA to Input on A4
Set Volume from Input to Taste

CV A set to Value LIN

LFO modulating CV A with full Depth set to happen on TRIG
Sine Wave
Multiplier Speed to 1k
Speed set to about +13
Fade set to about +35

You can play with these parameters and the speed of this by parameter locking on different trigs to get different notes although it won’t be Western tuned.

Put trigs on the tracks and hear booming subbass

I usually write my bass lines on this as well as the sub component of the kick. I am writing full songs on the Analog Keys, this gives me the ability to mute just the sub bass and keep the mid of the kicks going. Generally very useful.

12 Likes

Thanks for that - I think I’m going to have to try it out!

Thanks for bumping this trick that I didn’t know. I have the same problem with A4 to give a good sub tail to my techno kicks.
I’ll try this tomorrow.

I’ve read this 100 times and I’m just not great learning through reading.

Does anyone have a video demonstrating this trick? I have tried it and I get zilch.
I know it’s user error here so would like to see where I am going wrong.

@PeterHanes is there a video in this thread then Peter?

No, but there are some screenshots in one of the topics linked from this topic:

Appreciate you’re trying to keep the forum clean, but perhaps some context would have been a bit friendlier, instead of just moving the thread. A pointer towards the link, within the link, to make it a bit more obvious as to what your actual intention was.

1 Like

Had some experiments with CV A → Input A config today.

I used PITCH V/oct setting for CV A (secondary menu).

The TUN parameters becomes the voltage output by the CV out.
So basically the level of the signal received on Input A.
Or more precisely, a big variation in TUN will send a high voltage difference, so a big volume.

So on the screen bellow, TUN represents the floor level of the voltage that we will modulate with envelopes.

My thinking was to use V/oct setting to get an extra envelope with BND on primary CV A menu.

Of course you can get more control on the attack by setting a dedicated envelope with SRC = TUN:

• DEP adjusts the click volume level,
  • LEN parameter makes it possible to choose how long the click should be (so you can get it more or less thin)
  • choose an envelope shape with a dot, exponential one is the more appropriate here as we want the fastest
  • ATT to 0 if you want full click, or 1 if you want to break it a bit

Noise may be added to the attack by using an LFO

• RND waveform and MULT = •512 for noise (don’t take x512 like on my picture or the sound will be dependant of your BPM)
  • MOD = TRIG so that it restarts for every trig
  • short FAD
  • DST = TUN (or FIN for little noise), adjust DEP as desired noise level

To add some body to the kick, I use an LFO. I was not satisfied with TRIG mode and short fade for this, it’s more interesting with a full ADSR envelope I feel.
So I basically set the LFO with DST=TUN and DEP = 0.
The speed of the LFO will create a note, so I used a SINE waveform and •512 MULT (not x512 like on my picture if you want to be BPM independant).

And use the other envelope to modulate the LFO DEP.
Note that I also modulate the TUN (ie. the voltage, so the volume of the kick)

I still have a little problem: the ENV with DST = LFO DEPTH makes the LFO alive when powering on, so outputs a note (that disappears when I play a note or double hit stop, so it might be some kind of bug).

Anyway, this offers quite some possibilities! Have to create some snares and hats now!

I’m also missing some distorsion, so I might put some little distorsion pedal in between ^^
But there is also another CV out to have fun with: my A4 has just become a 6-track synth!

Still have to play with this to feel comfortable, try an envelope on the LFO speed to get a pitch sweep, maybe try some noise on the LFO speed as well…
Pretty cool hack already, thank you @anselmi wherever you are now!

9 Likes