Cv control

Just wondering about cv control on analog heat. I can’t seem to find info on what you can control with it or how. Thanks

1st result on youtube

its in spanish but you can see beatstep triggering envelope/filter via cv.
so you can hook it up to modular gear and not rely on midi.

1 Like

Thanks a lot but I meant like in the analog heat how do you physically do this as I don’t own one. I see now the modulation page has a destination column in control setting, I didn’t put that together from the manual and searching the forum

I did these that touches upon what you’re looking for:

5 Likes

I was watching the bottom one as you posted. Cleared it up for me thank you, there’s a destination column. Very much appreciated thank you. Good vids

2 Likes

Cheers!

2 Likes

I haven’t hooked mine up to CV yet , just midi tweaks but I’ll watch the videos when I get chance. It’s easy to mangle things but I’d like to try subtle / enhancements.
I have oto biscuit for nice noisy stuff.

Word, I dont have a heat yet but I’m working myself up to it. Hearing it has cv control is kind of a huge selling point for me. I have a nice little modular I made for myself, ocoast, Woggelbug, mn function, tip top audio wave fold processor . Excited to watch more vids with cv control

1 Like

The elektron analog mk II’s will both also have two CV inputs. I bet you’ll be able to modulate just about anything with em, like with the heat.

1 Like

This they should make a larger affair out of. I’m thrilled! :ooh: :aw: :heart: (Well - if I can afford the switch).

Yo @CarlMikaelBjork Have you had any luck using a gate in to CVin A to trigger the envelope folllower?
Or anyone really?
I have set the CV in A control mode to FOOTSW and set the destination to ENV TRIG as instructed by Elektron,
also I’ve experimented with different gate lengths as I thought the gates were too short to begin with.
It’s registering at the CV in settings page as I can see the bar lighting up with the gates but then it doesn’t show up at the envelope trigger page.
I thought that setting the Cvin A to ENV TRIG LEVEL in modulation page might help but it didn’t.
Can anyone help?
Thanks

Haven’t tried that and I’m tied up by some other stuff, so can’t try it right now.

No worries… compadre :wink:

1 Like

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I have a related problem.

Similar to FOALMA I have an expression pedal in CV mode connected to Control In A. It shows up in the control setup page where I can see the bars moving in the heat display as I move the pedal. Then in modulation settings I have CvInA as source and Filter Freq as destination, and I set depth to 127. But I’m not getting any filter freq modulation when I move the pedal. Can anybody see what I’m doing wrong here? Have I missed a step?

update: About 10 mins after I posted this question I figured out what I had done wrong. In the modulation source I was choosing CV In A, where I should have chosen Expr Ped A. After that it all works as expected.

I guess I need to read my expression pedal manual a bit deeper because I assumed it was outputting CV.

I’m actually a little disappointed with the result too. Rocking the pedal slowly through its range results in filter frequency changes in about 8 discreet steps. I’m assuming this is the fault of the pedal - or just as likely - the way I’ve set it up.

update 2: I experimented a bit more and got a much better result. Thought I’d post the details here in case it helps someone else with similar setup.

My expression pedal is the Source Audio Reflex Universal Expression Controller and has the ability to output both midi cc and cv simultaneously over midi din, usb, TRS and TS. It does it all. You can also set whether the CV output is active or passive and whether you are using TRS or TS cables.

I could not find much info on what the AH control in is expecting. In the manual it simply says “CONTROL IN A/B Inputs for an expression pedal, footswitch, or CV. Use 1/4” mono phone plug for CV signals.”. That last bit seemed incomplete to me. Doesnt say whether it expects a passive or active connection, or whether it encompasses expression pedals as well as foot switches.

So I started with a TS cable (mono) and connected my Reflex, with the pedal jumpered to be “passive TS” since this is how I’ve been using it on the A4. The AH seemed fine with this when I set control mode to EXPR and the expression learn thing all worked. But as I mentioned earlier, using Expr Ped A as a modulation source did not result in a smooth sweep, but a stepped one instead.

Today I switched the “Reflex to Active TS Control Voltage”, and switched the AH control mode to CV. Using CV In A as a modulation source works exactly like I would expect, with a nice smooth sweep through the full range of the pedal.

On a side note, the Reflex has 3 TS outs, so I can use the 2nd one as CV In B. I can also set the voltage ramp independently for each CV out, which combined with the depth on the AH control setup allows for some nice foot controlled modulation of two parameters at once.

4 Likes

Source Audio Reflex Universal Expression Controller

I’ve seen that pedal. Jammed to the rim of features. Have you tried controlling AH with MIDI simultaneously with CV yet?

I’ve never really understood MIDI CC so I feel like it would be a lot of setting up and Headache for me. I’m more comfortable with CV. I wonder if I’d like the Touché that @CarlMikaelBjork as it also seems useful for Eurorack stuff too.

In the mean time I think i’ll try my Koma Komander and see what happens .

MIDI CC (Continuous controller) is just a integer datastream in a MIDI line, you can have values between 0-127.

A single, discreet MIDI CC message contains three parts of info:
MIDI CH used
MIDI CC number used
the actual value for said CC

Sending a bunch of these messages in rapid succession can be used for automating parameters which listen to specific incoming CC numbers.

Sending MIDI CC is very easy. Usually it involves setting up a MIDI channel number and a MIDI CC number, after which you just send automation values as integer numbers between 0-127, or draw them in in your DAW. In elektron sequencers that have MIDI tracks, you just config the channel and the CC number, and then plock away.

2 Likes

I have not tried using the reflex pedal to send midi CC to AH. The two cv inputs on the AH are more than enough for my control needs at this stage. However I have used the pedal to send midi cc to my DAW. Its easy to set up on the pedal using the knob and a couple of buttons.

Is it as easy say for instance, like in Ableton, when you assign your midi mappings to a controller (wiggling knobs, fader, buttons, etc.) to activate particular parameters? Or is that the same thing?

My iConnectAudio4+ has elaborate MIDI settings that just looks overwhelming. Had for 3 years now. :confused:

You probably dont need to mess with the iConnect MIDI settings at all, at least if you already can send MIDI notes from ableton, that is.

Here’s a video demonstrating how to send MIDI CC automation to an ”external instrument” track in ableton, should give you an idea how to send MIDI CC. Its quite simple really as long as your settings are correct and you know which MIDI CC numbers control which parameter (see each instruments’ MIDI implementation chart for the CC number details, they are different for almost every device).

2 Likes

Thanks! I skimmed through it, seems like CC has deeper control than just MIDI Mapping on Live from what a gather so far. Will investigate if I think its useful for my setup.