CV 'buddy' suggestions for the AK

Minotaur, Mother 32, Modular rig, Minibrute, the list goes on!

I’m looking for a low-cost high-FUNction unit to integrate with my AK via CV outs and audio ins. It’s getting a bit depressing to overlook that CV channel all the time, but I’m not about to drop a ton of cash on something too fancy. A small standalone desktop module of some kind would be great, rather than some of the more expensive and fully featured units mentioned above. No keys needed either, of course.

What do you suggest?

I’m debating between the Mother and the Minitaur, myself. Mother, obviously, has more ins and outs, but the CV can be mapped on the Minitaur for interesting possibilities. Minitaur has two oscillators; Mother has a high-pass and noise source… the list goes on. Mother is more versatile; Minitaur is more emphatic is how it keeps coming up in my head.

I have the Minibrute; unless you want to mod it, there aren’t enough ins and outs to anything too terribly fascinating with the CV options aside from straight-forward sequencing. Microbrute has more ins, but I have never cared much for the Microbrute sound, personally; it doesn’t sound as “full” to me as the Minibrute.

I keep thinking about starting a modular rig, but the entry price is pretty darn high when you think about it, if you want a rig that can do much of anything.

I’ve also had my eye on the Dreadbox Erebus; it’s worth checking out. Paraphonic function; neat sounding echo; fair number of ins and outs.

So, no “totally get this”; in fact, just more things to debate. (I am selling my Minibrute, if you want to go down that route.)

The Korg MS-20 in its various iterations is worth investigating as well; Elektron plays nice with hertz/volt standard. It’s not my cup of tea, but it definitely has a lot going for it. In the MS-20 Mini/original, you can do duophony, for example. (You can do this in the larger format desktop one as well with a fairly straightforward modification.)

http://www.elektronauts.com/t/error-reading-title/9100

http://www.elektronauts.com/t/cv-gate-synths-drum-modules-for-additional-voice-a4/12380

Great suggestions! Hoping this generates a bunch more conversation. I suppose another consideration is to avoid too much redundancy. Do I really need the Mother’s sequencer when the AK has this aspect so well in hand already? It’s a damn tempting piece though! I like the idea of simplicity, because the AK has so much already going for it. Really just need to fill that track/voice with something super complementary and maybe a bit contrasting or unique. FM sounds? Some boutique oscillator? Drum module? Ideally not something that eats up the whole desktop or distracts from the AK as a centrepiece.

Thanks Peter! Will check those out! …sorry to reinvent this topic. :slight_smile:

1 Like

For the price, Nord Drum 1 is a wonderful CV buddy.

AK’s four CV outs can be setup as triggers for ND1’s four voices.
You can use the FX track to sequence those triggers too. In this configuration it is much easier to manage all four ND1 voices.
Using AK’s external input, you can “stereoize” ND1’s mono output by p-locking the pan and FX sends on the FX track.

It also excepts midi program change, which the AK spits out. The two go great together.

2 Likes

I’ve heard that the minitaur doesnt track all that well. I’d go with a microbrute or if the cash would stretch, an intellijel atlantis. Pick up a used tip top HEK and it would be the same price as a mother

I just picked up a Mutable Instruments Braids. I had a cell 90 that had been sitting for awhile. So far it’s everything I wanted in a single module companion for the AK/first jump in to the cv world. The architecture of the AK allows the braids to sit very nicely as a substitute oscillator on one of the synth tracks. I’ve spent the first week just using it to create patches/sounds. Tonight I began incorporating the CV LFO going to the various cv ins on the braids. A powered case+braids+AK gives you a massive digital analog hybrid monster without having to purchase any other modules up front…which I’m sure I’ll do soon :slight_smile:

A used doepfer a-100 mini case and a used braids would set you back about aounrd $450 ($520 new) fyi

This is such a cool idea, just using braids. Kinda scary, because who can stop at only one module?

Would love to hear some sound samples if you have the time. Nedavine went a similar route with his modular.

Also I was looking into this and the a-100 can power a braids just barely. Adding any other modules will exceed its power rating by a fair bit. Shame because it’s a nice size.

Well I’m glad I started this thread up again. These suggestions are great and go beyond simply what ‘works’ with the AK and are more about what makes an ideal and economical standalone companion. The Atlantis, Braids, and Nord Drum are now high on my radar, and I appreciate the second thoughts on the Minotaur. Erebus is another to look at for sure, and with that in mind the Dark Energy is also a contender. Maybe the pittsburgh modular Synthesizer Box too…?) Still need to do some soul searching on ‘to modular or not to modular’; as Anfim states - who can stop at just one? …as well as whether to choose something more percussion or more synth voice oriented. Lots of food for thought. Thanks guys! Feel free to keep suggestions coming in case anyone else is following along.

1 Like

Depends on what your setup is missing I suppose! If you’re needing drums then a ND1 would do the job as it has 4 tracks that match the A4/AK’s 4 CV outputs. Another analog voice like the minitaur or erebus would be nice but maybe a bit redundant? I think the draw of modular here is that it’s easy to add a weird digital/wavetable oscillator that can fill in some of the sound gaps not covered by the A4. Others in this vein apart from Braids would be the Hertz Donut and Piston Honda, maybe the waldorf NW1. Might be easier to stick to one module if the clear purpose is to strap an extra osc to the A4.
Anyone who has used both chime in on Hertz Donut vs Braids in a small setup like this?

No idea about the mother 32 (or anything else with CV for that matter), but I freakin’ love my minitaur!

Been having a grand old time using the audio inputs to layer external oscillator sources with the built in ones, and having everything run through the same filter & amp envelope. Haven’t got stuck into the CV side of things yet, but I suspect it’ll open it up even further.

I agree. the minitaur is amazing. Wish saving presets was a bit easier having a mini display or something.

Depends on what your setup is missing I suppose! If you’re needing drums then a ND1 would do the job as it has 4 tracks that match the A4/AK’s 4 CV outputs. Another analog voice like the minitaur or erebus would be nice but maybe a bit redundant? I think the draw of modular here is that it’s easy to add a weird digital/wavetable oscillator that can fill in some of the sound gaps not covered by the A4. Others in this vein apart from Braids would be the Hertz Donut and Piston Honda, maybe the waldorf NW1. Might be easier to stick to one module if the clear purpose is to strap an extra osc to the A4.
Anyone who has used both chime in on Hertz Donut vs Braids in a small setup like this?[/quote]
The driving force for me in choosing the Braids over other digital/wavetable oscillators was the straightforward nature of the cv implemenation along with the wide variety of wav types to choose from (the quad wavetable with a cv lfo modulating it is an early favorite). The shapeshifter, piston honda, and hertz donut were all in my radar but I wanted to start my cv adventure with something that sounded great and also one I could quickly wrap my brain around. I’ll throw some stuff up on soundcloud soon.

https://soundcloud.com/metalfalcon2

I put up a very hastily thrown together snipped of just the braids and the AK. One very ,very simple track using the quad wavetable through the AK’s full signal path on track one. I’m modulating the color in on the braids with the CV LFO. For this wave type the color in determines the chord type.

Added another thing. This one includes the full AK engine with the braids on track 1 doing the main melody that comes in first after the drums before the bass. It’s short and basic. I promise not to flood this thread with little demos I swear :slight_smile:

https://soundcloud.com/metalfalcon2

Low cost, high function? MS20 mini?

I get a lot of use out of my one, paired with the AK.

Not what you’re after?

An interesting end to my quest - discovered the 4 cv ins on my Mooger MURF! Zero dollars spent. Huzzah!

Already sequencing lin/val changes on each channel, as accessory sequencing of the guitar rig and also sending ak track audio out to the moog and back to ak audio ins with interesting results.

1 Like