Custom led light firmware? (mk2)

Hello friends!

Is there anything like a custom firmware for the octatrack to change the colours of the leds?
This red/green thing is ok, but I know the octatrack can basically do all the colours…

Is this possible at all?

2 Likes

Not until you re-engineer and modify their firmware.

4 Likes

Cool! Is there a youtube tutorial? I want to learn it too. :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Feels strange that noone did that before :slight_smile:
Maybe some day someone feels motivated enough…

What else would could be changed in the firmware?

Apparently around a thousand of things…

OT Feature Requests Thread (active)

When OT is discontinued ?
Not only a question of motivation. Seems nightmarish to re-engineer such a firmware. It’s even difficult for Elektron to modify the code they have without creating new bugs, so I let you imagine…

3 Likes

Unfortunately modifying firmware ranges from very difficult to almost impossible.

Firmware files are not human readable, all the original code that was used to create it is discarded and turned into raw computer instructions which are much, much more difficult to make sense of. Not impossible though, as the Machinedrum firmware mods prove!

There are also often security measures of some description to make it harder to decode the firmware, or to upload custom firmware not from the manufacturer.

That said, it’s clearly not impossible, and the fact that they did it for the Machinedrum suggests there’s a little bit of hope, in that you’d expect the Octatrack’s firmware structure to be somewhat similar. Unfortunately the crew behind the MD firmware mod aren’t sharing any details on how they did it, I think at Elektron’s request, so it would be a massive job for someone else to take on. We can dream though!

2 Likes

alright, thats interesting… didnt know that. I also heard the “mastermind” of the octa quit a while ago…
thanks for the insight!

then I probably have to wait a few years for a clever A.I. to write a new firmware… when it doesnt decide to wipe us out :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s normal, Octatrack wasn’t made by humans…

7 Likes

so this is what they were hidin in area 51 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Only the codes for the purple color option.

4 Likes

damn, I need those purple colours…

1 Like

Try test mode (Fn + Power on), press trig 1, then trigs combinations.
Or buy a Digi. :content:

1 Like

Damn, it’d be nice to have purple trigs instead of green.

2 Likes

the whole machine could be 100 times sexier with just some different colors, also way more easy to grasp… lets lust hope someday some brave nerd gets it done :slight_smile:

1 Like

A brave nerd. Also worked at Area 51?
Only Bob Lazar can reverse-engineer the OT :robot:

1 Like