Curious about some workflow of the OT (don't have one)

There’s really piles of ways to go about things. I tend to make a good loop of one element of what will be a jam, like drums, guitar rhythm, synth melody, etc… and use that to make a nice remix sequence where it’s sliced, rearranged, and effected/warped… Once that’s done you simply record again a loop and the remix sequence is played in real time. I usually have it muted with a scene when the fader is to the left and that side plays the live audio and or the loop, fader to the right the regular loop is muted and the remix is up, fader crossfades between them…

1 Like

It is the case, even it’s since 1ms you need sound inside the machine. :content:

If you play a reverse sound starting from the end, you have to record it first.

Let’s say it’s a snare, lasting 2 steps.
Place a rec trig at trig 5, with 2 steps recording length. You can play it reverse at trig 7, or maybe trig 11 or 13 to replace the 2nd snare, with trig condition eventually.

4 Likes

The OT has a bit of a learning curve but once you’re familiar with how it samples/slices etc you can do stuff like set the pre arranged slices and much more very quickly.

It’s a magic machine. It’s the last bit of hardware I would ever get rid of.

2 Likes

You maniac! Mind blowing…

3 Likes

this is what I used to think, and it’s mostly true, but there seems to be a funky way the OT and MDUW are coded where when the playback head and recording head cross each other it stops playback even if there is previously recorded information in the buffer - like in a situation where you are continuously re-filling a buffer there is always audio past your playback head (even if the audio editor graphic doesn’t show it you can hear it while watching the playback cursor traverse seemingly empty space) but as soon as the record head and playback head try to cross each other, whether because of using re-pitching or moving the start/rate around then sample playback stops and it’s not because there’s no information in the buffer to access - would appear to have something to do with the specific coding/implementation of OT/MDUW (some sort of logic that won’t play back the ‘wrong’ or ‘old’ part of the buffer when re-pitching or something like that? - probably has a more primitive explanation though)

How’s clicks on starts and stops of live samples or automatic slices?

I mean I guess it depends on the material but if there’s a general impression…?

@sezare56 - you should start selling OT templates! I’d buy a few in an instant :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Where is the “Next Level” emoticon when you need it.

Damn @sezare56 if I wore a cap I’d doff it, if I wore a hat I’d take it off to you, but I’ll just say that was friggin awesome!

France shall be known for great bread, tasty cakes, liberty, chic-ness and now home of the OctaSlaya!

Still don’t like French cheese though :rofl:

6 Likes

haha.
have you heard about that french OctaSlaya? He‘s a living legend

2 Likes

All I heard is that he has great hair, a motorcycle, and that he has only ever ONCE asked a question. :star_struck:

4 Likes

what was the ominous question?

I think it was “should I get an Octatrack” :joy:

2 Likes

Or it might have been “does my bum look big in this?” :joy:

1 Like

I don’t think there is an other more primitive explanation than the simple logic of “stop when play head reach rec head position”. At least I would implement it this way :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just refuse to make any assumptions about how it’s actually implemented, since it usually turns out I’m wrong, and I will only offer pure speculation :sweat_smile:

if I had my druthers I’d just let it start accessing the ‘wrong’ part of buffer instead of stopping playback (assuming that’s even possible - their specific implementation could make that situation impossible for all I know), since I think that’s more interesting and gives more control/options to the user :loopy:

edit to add: if they did put in specific logic to stop the playback in this situation it would represent one of the few ‘seatbelts’ on the OT sampling design, which is pretty absent of them elsewhere

1 Like

Well, in 99,999% it would get you just horrible crackles, because there is no blending/fading only a sudden jump.

I think they wanted to protect their customer hotline from being flooded with “bug” reports about it :wink:

As developer myself I would implement a secret toggle to disable this safe guard (like an easter egg, you know? … hold some buttons, then press some others in a specific order … secret settings page opens up).

Update:

But who knows? Maybe that secret page is already in there and just no one has discovered it yet?

1 Like

horrible crackles are OT special sauce though, these are features! :rofl:

3 Likes

Depends as you say. Clicks can be reduced with AMP ATK = 1, eventually HOLD = min and REL lower than 127. Anyway I like to do rhythmical with pre-slices, it can cover clics. I wouldn’t use it on a soloed synth pad. :slightly_smiling_face:

No, it’s “Should I get a SECOND Octatrack?” !
Cheddar is not cheese. :kissing_heart:

5 Likes

:rofl:

Oh yeah so cheddar is not just cheese in the same way that the Octatrack isn’t just sampler, agree 100% ::wink:

3 Likes

Dynamic Performance Cheese ! :joy:

1 Like