Cue level in studio mode - scenes?

Hello.

I’ve been fiddling with an experiment, but i got stuck… maybe someone here has a nice idea on how to improve it, or a workaround…?
my idea is to use the cue output in studio mode, hardwired to input c-d to a thru channel as a send fx… but the scenes does not seem to work for the cue level… making it not as useful for live purposes, which was the intention… maybe it is just a simple feature request, or maybe i overlooked something?
would be nice if it worked as i am trying to create some uniformity thoughout my banks, so stuff feels more seemless…

2 Likes

If it’s just an ON/OFF switch you need for the cues, you could lock the Input on the Thru channel to the Scene. In other words, Scene A can have Input “-” and Scene B can be set to Input “C D”. Obviously, this would affect all Tracks being cued… so probably not much help.

what i mean is that in studio mode which you access in project->control->audio you can activate cue output as studio mode, where each channel has its one individual level for the cue outputs, by hitting the cue button, and using the level knob at the same time… the problem is that i can’t get this to work with the scenes… thanks for the input though :slight_smile:

ahh okay. i get what you mean now… i misread.
that is one way to go about it…
a bit less flexible though…
scenes to cue output is definitely on my wishlist now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, it’s a bit of an omission, given that you can control the Main Track Level with Scenes. I agree it would be really useful.

If you don’t mind a MIDI loopback (physical connection of OUT to IN), then CUE level is p-lockable via CC#47 from a midi track of your choice. Being p-locks, these will work by pattern, and are not assignable to scenes. Still, if I understand correctly what you’re trying to do, it’ll definitely get you there.

1 Like

good suggestion… for programming certainly some interesting things can come of out of that… i guess the easiest replacement for scenes is a midicontroller, although it’s never quite the same once you’ve gotten used to working with scene’s on the OT. and portability is again starting to become an issue…
i wonder how long a midi chain you can have before you start noticing some latency, if you can’t do it directly from in to out in the OT (i recently lost my midi-splitter)
thanks for the inputs

Right. Yes, a controller is definitely more hands-on. I really try to keep my rig minimal - so on that note, bear with me on another daft suggestion. It’s from the euro forum so I’m not taking any credit for it.

Basically, what you’d do is to swap the roles of the CUE and the MAIN outs. Then you can rock XVOL as your send, CUE as your (static) track volume, and AMP/VOL as a lockable/fade-able gain stage. That way you can still use the scenes workflow but hopefully get the flex you need.

5 Likes

excellent workaround! now to practice muting using the cue button instead of function, and not using the quick-mutes… reeducate that muscle-memory… :slight_smile:
gonna try this tomorrow. thanks!

2 Likes

:+1: :+1: :+1:

I just had the idea this morning that I reroute things that

Main left goes to mixer 1 left
Cue left goes to mixer 1 right
Main right goes to effect chain left (eventually mixer 2 left)
Cue right goes to effect chain right (eventually mixer 2 right)

This way balance becomes a glorified effect dry/wet knob, which is scene lockable… You can still balance in studio mode with main/cue output volume. Setting actual volume becomes more complicated… On the bright side this way I am forced to think more about balance (and avoid become mostly centered).

Actually this seems to work out for me, ymmv.

1 Like

Interesting. I use balance a lot so I’d still prefer that solution :

1 Like

This workaround sounds fine for a “mono” output as you are using both left outputs for the mixer and both right for the effect chain. So any panning previously worked on a loop (in case you are using one) kind of dissapear, right?

Yes, or worse: not just disappear, but tracks which are not meant to be together get mixed with each other in a way that is not meant to be.

Another method to use cue level with scenes
Studio mode
3 thru tracks

1. C D Fx
  2. A B 100% Dry
  3. A B 100% Wet

Scene A Xvol T2 max T3 min----B Xvol T2 min T3 max

1 Like

You can assign the CUE passthrough level in the MIXER page to a scene. I use this to cut my FX return with the fader.

1 Like

I guess you mean DIR ?

1 Like

I do. The DIR for C+D. Thanks for the correction!

1 Like

I wish it was true!

1 Like

I am testing if just using FX1 “DJ Equalizer” or AMP can be used to control the level of a track that outputs to the QUE out, with a Scene, and that does seem to work in studio mode.

Not sure if that awnsers the question tough

1 Like