CRUM DRUM / CRUM 2 - Generative drum machine

I’m very happy to hear that you like it!
Please let me know if you post some videos of it, I’d love to hear what other make with it!

Each step of each voice is given a random number between 0 and 1000. PROB sets a trigger threshold between 0 and 1000. If a given step of a voice is above the trigger threshold it will trigger.
Let’s say that step 7 of the kick has a value of 436. If the threshold is 500 that it won’t trigger, but if the threshold is 400 it will trigger!
Like you said, this means that the probability is rather more of a ‘density’ fumnction. In order to generate new sequences, hold down the BEAT button!
Hope this makes sense! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Ok yes this makes sense, thanks you! I will let you know if I get some vids to post.

1 Like

Can’t wait to give this a spin. Really cool device. Got a 303 clone to go with it and make some bizarro acid!

And I love to hear that the “prob” is actually density, similar to MI Grids. I find that to be quite a musical approach to percussion.

1 Like

Mine is here!!!

I have to learn how to solder.

1 Like

It’s only usb powered!
You might encounter some noise if you connect it to a laptop, but it should be less noise if you poser it via a regular phone charge!

Great!
Watch some soldering tutorials on Youtube, and take your time!
I’m sure you’ll make it!

2 Likes

I love this machine we are also interest. . In retail. for www.errorinstruments.com In retail, please contact us for the website. For retail in the shop. :pray: please contact. studiopaultas@hotmail.com have a good weekend grtz paul tas

1 Like

Did it!

It works! So fun!

1 Like

I like it! If I wasn’t on no gear challenge it would be a fun buy.

I am having a blast with this thing. Really great combination of parameters on the front, having a control-all-sounds setting, and some fun/weird sounds. Instantly get varying weird exciting stuff out of it. It can be a little squirrelly, or suddenly change when I’m not touching it (maybe the control-all is sense a faint change in value from a knob?), but overall having a real blast with it.

1 Like

How did you get along assembling it?

I didn’t. I asked a friend who is much more capable in that regard to do it for me.

He reported that it was “it was a rather uneventful assembly process.” He also made the Prok drums for me, and said they were much more complicated.

1 Like

I’m really enjoying the Crum Drum, but currently having a bit of trouble with synching to the new Roland boxes (J-6 and T-8). If I send clock from Crum Drum, the Rolands occasionally fall out by a step. If I send clock from the Rolands, the Crum Drum doesn’t seem to hear it and BPM knob remains free-running instead of switching into synched mode.

Have you tested these boxes together before? I imagine it could be user error, and I’ll keep playing with it, but I appreciate that you said to ask you any questions. Thanks in advance!

Thanks!

1 Like

Please let me know how to buy one!
contact me if you want.

Sounds great!

2 Likes

You can buy them here: https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/crum-drum/. They are out of stock at the moment, but will be back in stock in a few weeks!
They will also be available as pre-built units in the future! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Looking forward to this! :heart:

I’ve finally gotten my Crum Drum set up. I needed a bit of help with the soldering as my eyesight isn’t what it is. I’ve been playing around for a while just with the sounds which is amazing fun. Now though I could do with a bit of a steer on where to learn more. E.g. I have no clue how to record from it onto my Mac. I did try and use it as an input on Garage Band but got a bit confused. Any resources for newcomers you’d recommend? Thanks for making such a fun thing!

Here’s my first experiment with the Crum Drum. In short, I really love this thing. Only bummer was to have to clip out a couple of extra 16th notes due to the Crum Drum and Rolcas losing one step of synch.

12 Likes

Very excited to get a prebuilt one someday!

2 Likes