Crowdfunding — The Good, the Bad & the Ugly

Yes, not even in theory does this work with product development.

I’ve done it. But it was to reverse a delay. Paying overtime too.

1 Like

Damn !!
That they called themselves “Tangible Instruments “ is the gut punch

2 Likes

Loog Piano

On Kickstarter September 26th. Early bird price of $229 if you want jump on it. Rechargeable battery – and one sound, a piano – for headphones – no word that i could find on MIDI.

ADDED : Has MIDI over USB and a built-in stereo speakers.

This could work for a portable practice device ( assuming the keys are as good as they look ), or for a child to get acquainted with a keyboard given the price, and again ( hopefully ) quality.

1 Like

Do they make a mini version?

1 Like

“With musician grade sound and design”

Hilarious.
Looks nice though :+1:

Evaluating Risk

There is a big project coming up on Indiegogo very soon – the Reliq Hybrid Control Surface.

This is a very ambitious innovative project with a lot of separate goals being done by a small startup – so that may indicate a higher risk factor. But they have been working on their own for a while which means they should be past some of the riskier parts.

It occurs to me then that somewhat enigmatically, presuming they openly show a product well along, that a shorter time schedule promised ( let’s say under 6 months ) would likely mean less risk. They still could need crowdfunding as the actual manufacture of a product is a big expense. But if they are raising funds to pay for continuation of any of the upfront design work there is considerably more risk with those phases.

This one is also a little more expensive, so you need to gauge your own financial situation as well.

Elektronauts Thread

2 Likes

It’s always the risk right? I wish em well but with pandemic non-JIT supply chain being what it is if you don’t have it all done I’d never kickstart development of anything of that complexity.

I’ve kickstarted a few things recently, BPMC video synth and a Flight of Harmony module. Both mostly established small vendors working within their reach and not aiming for huge and complicated and large scale.

This one seems to just put the specs at “it’ll do everything and have every connection possible” which seems super sketchy for a first product.

4 Likes

I backed The GodFather, a multichannel Audio Processor on INDIEGOGO. Everything turned out well. I was very impressed of the unit when I saw it on videos and read about it.

Right know I am thinking about backing the Reliq: the World’s First Hybrid Control Surface. It seems a bit overkill, but has been fun reading about it on discord and it is exciting, to be part of it.

2 Likes

so I lobbed that out there and nobody hocked a loogie.

1 Like

It’s a really cool project, but even if I had the money and didn’t have an Oxi One and an Erica Synths Matrix Mixer, I’d be wary of the combination of lack of experience and extreme ambitions.

But maybe it’s just me being extra careful after the offGrid disaster lol

1 Like

Kiviak Wofi sampler.

KickStarter opens October 17th for €599.

This feels to me a good risk schedule wise, as they have spent a lot of time on the development to this point already.

Thread post with latest video, from Machina Bristronica.

1 Like

Lambda synthetics will do a Kickstarter of their PolyPulse in 9 days.

I think many people were interested by this one during Superbooth.

https://lambdasynthetics.com/?fbclid=PAAaYuxlFyGoPyVxOGJoIwOFyYTgXii1rrw1rngFQuPEOLwickigvkQwyUiu4

https://www.instagram.com/p/CyYJCv6IT3K/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet&igshid=ZDNlZDc0MzIxNw==

4 Likes

The MEDO from Donner.

From Claid :

I’ve got to agree. Why do they need to do a Kickstarter ?

But on the other hand KS is not a bad way to advertise to a wider audience, outside of the electronic music crowd that might see a product announcement in a trade mag.

They already have gotten a fairly large sign-up so it is working to get the word out.

It also works to reduce risk for them too, though they set a rather low commit goal.

Looks like a very fun yet still useful product in a small package. Sampler so far seems to be for short note samples, as best as i can make out.

On KickStarter. Still 40 days to go so they will sell a lot of these.

Very short demo video, without a lot of the KS advertising tricks.

1 Like

The French know their synths, only thing that worries me is the cloud selling point. As long as it can have local storage that’s all I care about

2 Likes

They end, and no money is taken from donors, and the company gets no funding. So the pledged money is safe.

On a practical level many projects either refine the offer and try again like on KS or they find another way to fund themselves, and sometimes they just drop the project.

As for the WoFi, i’d say there is almost no way now that it won’t hit target. They are so far along , 80% of the way, and there are 23 days left. There is always a rush at the end, for whatever reason, and that will definitely push it over the top. I’ve watched a lot of these through the funding so i know how things have worked in the past.

1 Like

Ah I see makes sense, I initially thought 100k was a lot. Then it boomed to 70% in a few days, but now it’s been a tad stagnant. I don’t crowdfund much, so I am hoping they make it. The French know their music haha

1 Like

I usually prefer projects that fund but don’t go crazy. It’s a nightmare for a developer to have to deliver many times the number of units they had planned for, and it creates risk to completion on time.

There is no risk to pledging early with Kickstarter. You can always cancel your pledge anytime before the closing date, and then you owe nothing. ( Check their policy to be sure this is still true, but it was on the last project i backed in the spring. )

The thing is once you pledge, you magically feel ownership and will tend to stick. It’s called the endowment effect.

There are usually a few people who cancel on the last day, but there are many more that come in at the end too. One thing nice about people cancelling at the end is if they were super-extra-early-birds and got a large discount, that discount is available to others to take or upgrade to. I’ve increased my discount that way before.

2 Likes

Closing in on its final hours of sign-up is Sonicware’s Lofi-12 XT.

Being that this is their third KS project and that this has a pretty good engineered base, it would rank as one of the safer sorts of crowdfunds. It still is a crowdfund though, and delivery is scheduled for April 2024, so still a ways off. The campaign for them has been successful, but not crazy over-subscribed.

1 Like