Crowdfunding — The Good, the Bad & the Ugly

Excellent! He’s been alternating getting the Avalons out (I got mine a bit ago) and it’ll be good to see Brian have some rest and refinement and brain-rest after getting both out the door.

2 Likes

Yes - my retired dad is building the kit because I have zero soldering capability (and he enjoys it :sweat_smile:) … apparently he’s already emailed them to tell them the kit he received was very nice! I always knew it would be worth the wait as the desire was clearly there and (nervousness about possible firmware issues aside) I am really excited to see how it ends up :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Embodme at NAMM 2024 is showing their new ERAE II hardware. They plan on Kickstarting it on February 15th. Lots of new features on this version.

1 Like

Including a designed-for-mpe midi looper! If it’s a decent control surface this time, it might replace my linnstrument just for that.

IOLabs has a Eurorack module available via Kickstarter that allows you to setup simulations of physical motion ( think of billiard balls on a magic billiard table ) and interprets that motion as you would like into rhythm and pitch expressed in CV, and maybe MIDI data too.

It is called Particles.

The module included a touch sensitive color display for control.

The project is already funded but is still open to join.

Particles on Kickstarter

This video shows only one way to set up the “physics” in your simulation world. Many other ways of interaction can be created, as well as how that all gets interpreted. Read more about that at the KS link.

£419 or about $532 USD.

IOLabs also makes another Eurorack module for generation of complex rhythms called Flux.

1 Like

Aodyo is back with another crowdfunding project: Loom

Presented on Thursday, apparently. Teaser:

(via @Jukka, I guess, who mentioned something and made me look.) :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So as you hear in the video it’s multi-touch and 2-D position sensing – i think.

I am less sure but think it is also velocity sensing, based on percussion – using a mic ? It may have a aftertouch pressure sense, based on capacitive sense area like the MicroFreak.perhaps, or maybe not.

No idea if this has a built in synth or is controller only.

This is a spin-off product, based on the research funded with the Omega. We’ll see if there is a small discount for those who funded the Omega ? There ought to be, by my logic anyways.

I also take this as very good news for Omega buyers.

Pretty sure its midi like a ribbon controller with modulation not just pitch control.

1 Like

No doubt it’s got MIDI out, but the reason i wonder about a synth part is that Adoyo’s first product Sylphyo started as controller only, but evolved to have a synth part too. Adoyo has developed the expertise to design a good sounding if simplistic synth, simplistic judging from the tiny interface screen.

They already have a large synth code base – it would be easy for them to spin off a nice sounding synth engine almost for free.

Don’t know it could go either way.

Im just judging by the voicings on the sample . It looks a bit small to be that powerful a synth.

I don’t agree, small is big when it is digital.

Well if they can replicate that sound from a small engine id be all over it.

Worth it’s own dedicated thread maybe ?

2 Likes

I started the thread.

2 Likes

Good practice for crowdfunding developers is to :
Under promise and over deliver.

3 Likes

It’s funny to think about the phases on a crowdfunding project.

I suppose a marker coming up for the Loom is April 11th, when the pledges close and your money gets taken and you’re locked in. Is that the start of the Anxiety Phase ?

I guess we don’t stop speculating, just how and what gets speculated over.

It’s an individual thing, but there is plenty of people that flip over to the Anger Phase next.

A favorite post for me was when Expressive E was called, “Those chiselers”.

2 Likes

“Anxiety phase” is a good word for it. It’s a very thin line between the FOMO of getting in on early bird pricing and the “OMG what have I done?” of plunking down several hundred dollars on a thing that might not work how you like (or, indeed, actually exist)!

Personally, I really like getting to help fund projects that have made thoughtful design decisions and solid planning (and I think the OP is that sort of project, FWIW). It feels like making a tiny step toward a world where that sort of work gets recognized over the potential profit margin — and, not coincidentally, this sort of project tends to actually deliver. But I also get people being anxious about it. Especially for anything over $100.

3 Likes

Nanoloop still has yet to deliver on the second option. About a year ago he emailed me saying it was about it was about to ship and then went silent. Kind of accepted that I will probably never see a product at this point.

2 Likes

myTracks from Blipblox going on KickStarter.

2 Likes

Interesting one from the folks behind Hungry Robot pedals: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/artiuminstruments/artium-instruments-the-swarm

I have liked their guitar pedals for a good long while and this seems like a simple, well thought out product. Immediately seems like it would be great for live use, as you can easily route external things through the effects in parallel. Can see pairing this with my Rytm and maybe Oxi One as a fun setup for performance.

2 Likes