Crowdfunding — The Good, the Bad & the Ugly

I read a bit the comments on the link you provided.
What a mess, i would not work for their customers service for all the gold of the world. They properly burnt themselves, now they can try sell to the masses on Amazon but I’d say their reputation is done for the musician’s world.

As much as I love the concept of KS and others, as much I read terrible stories, one after another. The lack of communication is worst than production issues for me and I can’t figure out why one would act like that and why it is so common for companies whatever field of business we’re talking about.

1 Like

On the other hand, i’ve recently been watching the comments section for the Donner Medo, and have also seen what happens in the comments section for products i’ve backed. One needs to keep in mind the natural bias with a vocal minority.

The Donner project has gotten a few weeks behind schedule, and Donner has openly and actively communicated this. They are most apologetic. And yet reading some of the comments you’d think they were involved in some sort of criminal swindle.

The Medo actually seems to be quite similar as a musical instrument to the Orba 2.

So aside from Artiphon doing a version 2 later, what was the problem with fulfillment and shipping with the Orba ? Was it mainly in shipping to Europe. ? And the comments made a lot of references to t-shirts ? What’s with that ?

People seem to be quite happy with their Chompi samplers. Looks like the device is way better than expected.

4 Likes

I took a look at the updates and comments sections for the Akuto AKT-01 controller. Looks like some delay, hard for me to tell the detail, some of the updates are “cloaked”, but a few of the commenters have lost their tempers, and feel they have been scammed. But others there seem quite supportive and calm. There definitely is some confusion with people thinking that they made a pre-order, which is not at all what the crowdfunding sites are for.

The same misunderstanding was made by some at the Donner Medo KS, with like – “Hey, I ordered this for Christmas, why haven’t you shipped it ?”

On the other hand at the Telmatronic Groovetube KS, there have also been some ups and downs. But people there are completely calm, quiet really, and supportive. The difference i think may be that the Groovetube was upfront promoted as you are helping us fund this unusual experiment, and we’re offering you the unique resulting experimental synth. The Groovetube crowdfund contribution was also a larger amount.

1 Like

I was one of the original backers. It’s a toy. The kids (2 and 5yrs) like it and it’s robust enough for me to leave them with it.
I guess I’m luck that mine was delivered at all.

Haven’t looked at any of the updates since - just seen there’s a synth preset designer though, so it may get some attention when I have some free time. (see above comment about kids)

1 Like

This one sounds great,
Just a little late.

Now to finish up with the fully built version.

Thread.

2 Likes

Excellent! He’s been alternating getting the Avalons out (I got mine a bit ago) and it’ll be good to see Brian have some rest and refinement and brain-rest after getting both out the door.

2 Likes

Yes - my retired dad is building the kit because I have zero soldering capability (and he enjoys it :sweat_smile:) … apparently he’s already emailed them to tell them the kit he received was very nice! I always knew it would be worth the wait as the desire was clearly there and (nervousness about possible firmware issues aside) I am really excited to see how it ends up :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Embodme at NAMM 2024 is showing their new ERAE II hardware. They plan on Kickstarting it on February 15th. Lots of new features on this version.

1 Like

Including a designed-for-mpe midi looper! If it’s a decent control surface this time, it might replace my linnstrument just for that.

IOLabs has a Eurorack module available via Kickstarter that allows you to setup simulations of physical motion ( think of billiard balls on a magic billiard table ) and interprets that motion as you would like into rhythm and pitch expressed in CV, and maybe MIDI data too.

It is called Particles.

The module included a touch sensitive color display for control.

The project is already funded but is still open to join.

Particles on Kickstarter

This video shows only one way to set up the “physics” in your simulation world. Many other ways of interaction can be created, as well as how that all gets interpreted. Read more about that at the KS link.

£419 or about $532 USD.

IOLabs also makes another Eurorack module for generation of complex rhythms called Flux.

1 Like

Aodyo is back with another crowdfunding project: Loom

Presented on Thursday, apparently. Teaser:

(via @Jukka, I guess, who mentioned something and made me look.) :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So as you hear in the video it’s multi-touch and 2-D position sensing – i think.

I am less sure but think it is also velocity sensing, based on percussion – using a mic ? It may have a aftertouch pressure sense, based on capacitive sense area like the MicroFreak.perhaps, or maybe not.

No idea if this has a built in synth or is controller only.

This is a spin-off product, based on the research funded with the Omega. We’ll see if there is a small discount for those who funded the Omega ? There ought to be, by my logic anyways.

I also take this as very good news for Omega buyers.

Pretty sure its midi like a ribbon controller with modulation not just pitch control.

1 Like

No doubt it’s got MIDI out, but the reason i wonder about a synth part is that Adoyo’s first product Sylphyo started as controller only, but evolved to have a synth part too. Adoyo has developed the expertise to design a good sounding if simplistic synth, simplistic judging from the tiny interface screen.

They already have a large synth code base – it would be easy for them to spin off a nice sounding synth engine almost for free.

Don’t know it could go either way.

Im just judging by the voicings on the sample . It looks a bit small to be that powerful a synth.

I don’t agree, small is big when it is digital.

Well if they can replicate that sound from a small engine id be all over it.

Worth it’s own dedicated thread maybe ?

2 Likes

I started the thread.

2 Likes