Cringy introductions in 3rd person

So many entry artists on SC and other platforms introduce themselves in 3rd person.
The point of joining this kind of community platform is to connect with others and not to come off as arrogant and self-important person.
Perhaps just say “Hi!”, be yourself and don’t hide behind this ‘grandiose’ ambitions of yours. :peace_symbol:

2 Likes

kairos agrees

17 Likes

Abhoth, a norwegian electronic artist known to explore the boundaries of genre definitions and the juxtapositions of familiar pop tropes and experimental sonic landscapes recently stated that “Cringy 3rd person introductions are an unfortunate necessity these days, as blogs, reviewers and even newspapers will copy/paste that introduction and use it as if it was a press release”.

14 Likes

Not really. This is plain silly if you’re just starting out on platform like SC.

My friend (name changed for anonymity) used to start his CV/Resumé off with:

Craig Hitchings is a writer, editor and director who has decided to stop writing about himself in the third person. My previous work includes…

14 Likes

Smart twist :slight_smile: Did you get that job ?

1 Like

It honestly wasn’t me. But he wrote comedy screenplays so it was absolutely perfect for him :grinning:

7 Likes

:laughing:

The generic nature of these bios is horrible … for some reason all those wannebe dj/producers had a mum who played the piano… iduno man , there can’t be that many mums who play the piano :slight_smile:

2 Likes

this is what happens when there’s not enough money in music to pay for PR or in journalism to pay for journalists…

I blame Space Karen and the billionaires.

3 Likes

Well, it has happened to me several times and in the end made me go edit info in places like SC. Seen lots of (sometimes funny) examples from others, as well. But yes, going overboard with this type of thing is probably not a good idea, either.

I guess this kind of taps into a bigger issue we (I’m not royal, just part of a duo!) find hard to navigate. From what I understand, personal, “real” content works well on social media, for instance. But I personally like that bands and musicians create a distance between themselves as private persons and their artist personas. What is “right” depends on artist, genre and person(s), of course.

I remember recently reading Nick Cave being asked if he sometimes removed his black suit and sat in the couch in sweatpants (or something to that effect) and he replied “No, don’t even imagine that!”. :slight_smile: I think the same still holds true for new acts just starting out.

6 Likes

I dunno, so many pianos in living rooms…

My mum played the piano, she taught me a little when I was around 5, but I wanted to play something cool, so two years later I got guitar lessons until at age 14 when all that jazz and blues started to freak meowt. :laughing:

Not that ours was too cringy to begin with, but this discussion made me edit our one to:

3 Likes

Ricky Henderson gets on. He always gets on!