Creating a pattern from short samples

Hi,

I’m still quite new to the Octatrack MK2.

I started out recording various samples on my OT: a snare, a kick and some chords. Each sample is assigned to flex tracks T1 to T7 (T8 is master).

The corresponding trig buttons 9 and up can play these samples.

However, half way through this process I got the feeling that I was approaching this the completely wrong way. I had plenty more than 7 samples I was planning to use for this pattern.

Is a better plan to record all the drums as a sample and assign it to, say, T1, then the bass line to T2 etc?

I assume that I approached this the wrong way and that the OT is not meant to be used to build up songs from individual tiny samples that have not been gathered to larger samples? Or is this where sample slicing enters the picture?

Thanks in advance!

One way to have a beat rolling on the minimum number of track would be to use slice mode.
Load all your samples on tracks. Play them successively while recording them on a buffer. Use resulting sample as source for a flex machine,slice it and use in slice mode. If you need a bit of polyphony, you could use two tracks. Or sample a snare+kick as a slice.

If you have a clear idea of what you want, it is sometimes better to make sample chains itb.

1 Like

cant you select samples per step? hold the trigger and rotate the Level knob?

2 Likes

Yes, slices or sample locks (Trig +Level).

You can also record different sample slots on a track, with Live Recording in slots mode (Function + down arrow). Copy / paste trigs with sample locks after recording…

2 Likes

Holding down the trig I wanted to change, and then rotating the level knob to select a sample solved it.

Thanks!

2 Likes

you tried the advice after 9 month? :smiley:

3 Likes

Probably a baby scream sample lock. :content:

5 Likes

An external MIDI controller is handy here. Hold down a trig, play a note on the controller to “lock” a slice to that trigger.

1 Like

@PekeDorty Just wanted to confirm that the solution works, for future beginners. :slight_smile:

1 Like