Crackling on Master Volume Knob

Hi

Well I received eceived the Digitakt today

Loving the sound quality and build but I think I may have a problem

When I adjust the Master Volume there’s crackling from the left side of my headphones using the headphones and also crackling using the left audio output

I’m unsure what to do, I don’t know if I should return it for a refund as it was bought with PayPal or keep it as I only paid £400 for it

Has anyone else had this problem? If so did u resolve the problem or did u just live with it

Thanks

1 Like

It is definetely a hardware issue, I had crackling on my master knob from day 1 but I bought it second hand and learned to live with it.

You on the otherhand, if you bought it brand new I suggest contacting either Elektron themselfes or the company you bought it from to have it repaired, or to give you a new unit.

having the same issue with both digis

It’s a potentiometer. The wiper or the resistive film can oxidize. This shouldn’t be with a new device. They are designed to self clear this. Try cranking it back forth for a minute or two. At the very least this should move the bad spots around. If that doesn’t help there are more drastic cleaning methods, which i posted about somewhere else in this forum, but should only be done by someone experienced with electronic repair. If this happens to a new device or under warranty return it.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies

Unfortunately it’s a S/H unit so u guess I will have to live with it

Just noticed this on my Digitone as well yesterday

It can be repaired, and that shouldn’t cost a lot.

Hi Jukka

Do u have a link to the post about the cleaning method used to fix the problem

Thanks

This is mainly for slider pots but the same applies to rotary pots. The materials involved are the same,. Be aware at some point it would be just as easy to replace the part, as it is likely a standard off the shelf part. (Replacement will require soldering.)

Thxs Jukka

1 Like

Hi there. Can I get some advice on selling my Digitakt? It is in great condition, but I do have this crackling issue only on the volume knob. I usually sell gear on Reverb (I’m in the states). I don’t want to downlist the condition of my unit, but I also don’t want an angry customer on the other end, who may think they have gotten a raw deal. How much value would you place on a second hand Digitakt in excellent condition with a crackling volume knob? Thanks.

Discount it more than the cost of repair.

Do you have a sense of that repair cost?

1 Like

Elektron would probably know. You could make a ticket as per: What to do if your Elektron device needs repair : Knowledge Base (Beta) and ask them.

3 Likes

Is the machine still under the 3 year warranty?

No. It’s about 4 years old.

Well, you can either lower the price and mention the issue in your ad, or you could contact Elektron and ask for a replacement Volume knob. It wont be expensive and you can then either fix it or include the replacement knob as part of the sale.

Sound advice. Thank you.