Could SAMPLING Be Coming to the AR MK I

At first the idea of sampling being brought to the MKI is a crazy idea. And… I have zero expectations of it. BUT the more I ponder it, the more I see a bit of logic to the idea.

They release this drum machine with audio inputs. The way the inputs are implemented and utilized is nonsensical. It leaves many people thinking what were they thinking. It’s almost like:
The inputs aren’t doing what they are meant to be doing. Allowing for sampling will suddenly make sense of it.

They’ve stated that all these machines, these MKII’s, will be running the same software as the MKI’s and that it is only the hardware that is changing. So – correct me if I’m wrong – In order for the MKI to not sample would require intentionally crippling it’s software. Because again, remember, the inputs are already there.

Elektron has surprised like this before.

Also, I won’t be pissed if they don’t do this.

Thoughts? What am I missing?

All the threads and posts which clearly state this to be 100% impossible

This is basic stuff … No ADC where it’s needed, so no input sampling, never

Nothing to do with ‘crippling’ software … truly awful term btw

This thread is best retired, this topic is old old old, try searching first, please :thup:

5 Likes

Thanks for the reply.

I did search before writing ^^^.
AR MKI SAMPLE
AR MKI SAMPLING
RYTM SAMPL

What should I have searched? I’m not sure

2 Likes

an unknown magic combination of words that works, hmm :question: … point taken :thup:

it is well known and discussed frequently (somewhere), but evidently not too easy to pinpoint when using common general terms, even with Google … [ retreats quietly embarrassed ]

nonetheless, have a peek in the manual, the inputs go direct (all analog) to the analog compressor, there’s no ADC on the input path

4 Likes

I’d read somewhere that elektron circuits use FPGAs, just because something is printed in a manual doesn’t necessarily mean it is set in stone.

The weird thing about this is that AR mk1 clearly does AD conversion when it streams audio over usb to Overbridge. So the excuse for not including sampling doesn’t really hold water…

1 Like

No one said it doesn’t do AD conversion. Not sure what you think is weird, but hey.

1 Like

Sample the inputs is quite different from sampling the sum total output of everything after the compressor

2 Likes

The rytm mk II has two sets of inputs, one like on the mk I, and other for sampling. Therefore, I’d say the chances of getting sampling for mk I is zero. Internal resampling OTOH… who knows?

4 Likes

Internal resampling would be tops!

5 Likes

AND there it is. I even looked at that image, noting that it was the SAME as the back of my mki… we see only what we want to see. :airplane:

Has there been any definitive statements from Elektron on how sampling will be similar to the digitakt? I mean, IF money & midi sequencing was no object why would someone pick the DT over the ARmkii? (And yes… I realize that I’ve just turned this into a different conversation, but…

1 Like

The two have a very different sound as far as samples go. The DT sounds full, the AR sounds toasty. Granted a lot of people will be happy with a mk1 and a DT, or just the DT

Midi sequencing on the DT is a pretty big feature to pass up- but good point. I’ll have to check out the second hand market before buying a DT. A lot of people sold their RYTMs to get a DT, how funny would it be for them to sell their DTs for another RYTM? :smiley:

1 Like

My experience is that the DT’s considerable contribution to sampling, or maybe to the ELEKTRON line up is it’s ease/immediacy.

Plainly, I could never get sampling via the OT (or the MD for that matter) to make any sense. And the real issue was I didn’t want to read and go methodically, I wanted to go and make it work intuitively as I went. The OT wasn’t that for me.

I may get flamed here, but I don’t think the DT has much of a sound. The tools work, but their aim isn’t fine tuning. The DT sampling is about IMMEDIACY.

I LOVE atheists sound of the DT. I’ve messed around with their MDUW, OT(which, imo, made learning fun again when I first got it- then again, it was my first real experience with sampling) and AR- and it just sounds so CLEAN from everything I’ve heard. I get that live sampling into the OT was kinda a pain- something you really had to actively persue in order for it to feel natural- and I hated searching for potential samples to load onto it, and then search through those samples when it came time to create.

My first impression of the DT was that it was primarily about immediacy as well- and also up to date Elektron sequencing- but it sounds really good, too! Midi sequencing via USB AND OB has a great spot in my set up. If you can sequencing via USB while using overbridge- then I’m absolutely sold

1 Like

I’ll would be just fine with internal resampling :slight_smile:

3 Likes

i’m happy to get any improvements / bug fixes but i’m not assuming anything new and getting on with using my mk1 gear. updating both versions would be great , but i suspect most tweaks are for mk2 , the new machine that will be making money for elektron.

as a drum machine/sample playback box it does a good job , multiple filters/delays/reverb/synthisis , my main gripe right now is copying kits between projects that include samples , but i can work around it.

we might as well as for a colour screen via firmware update , it aint gonna happen.

1 Like

I love the speculation. RYTM mk 1 sampling would be nice but still think it’s a great machine without it.

Trying so hard to avoid the digitakt itch … primarily due to the form factor and the A4 reverb + delay it appear to have. Seems the filters could be more imaginative though

1 Like

just had a thought …
couldn’t they implement live sampling into the Mk1 via Overbridge? Using its inputs?

I doubt they would ever implement that as a simplified workflow via OB. The hardware signal path makes it impossible for external input to be saved directly on rytm. But you can already accomplish this using your computer. Mute all sounds, sample the master outputs via overbridge (or even via analog outs and interface) will essentially provide the external inputs through the rytm compressor. Then you would have to use C6 to transfer the sample. Presumably the upcoming sample management software for rytm/digitakt will greatly simplify loading that sample from your DAW back into the rytm.

i guess its been established … no.

for me. since my mixer just goes stereo into my IO, and i monitor through my IO (audient id14)
i can just have audacity up. and if i want to sample anything from my mixer. record it. save it to a folder. and SDS drop right to what i’m messing with in the rytm. rinse and repeat.
its a shame that there is no SDS drop for windows. for windows user.
this IS functionality i thought that overbridge was going to bring. but it didn’t, and im just gonna assume (yes i know) it will not be added to overbridge at anytime.
still love my rytm though.

2 Likes