Copying samples with a pattern to a new project

Hi! I’ve checked the manual and the guide on the forum here, but I guess I’m not looking properly because I can’t find out how to do this!

I have a scratch project where I play around with ideas. I load a bunch of samples into that project. When I have a pattern I like, I want to move it to a fresh project so I can develop it into a song.

Question: is there a way I can copy the pattern to a new project, and copy the samples used in that pattern to go along with it? I’m happy to do this in 2 operations, not just 1. But I don’t like having to write down which samples I have in each track, and then in the new project, load them from the library manually :frowning:

Ideas?

Copy each track to the sound bank, then copy the pattern, load a new project, paste the pattern then go into sound browser and apply sounds which will import the samples for you.

1 Like

gonna take a few more than that lol :slight_smile:

1 Like

lol OK, so no easy way, that’s cool

@digimatt that sounds like a good solution, I haven’t really dug into the Sound Bank at all yet. Thanks!

Rather than copying each I presume you could sysex dump a whole bunch (I don’t have a dt so not sure)

Its not great but if the project is full its the most straight forward solution, best to do it with a new project though as there can be complications with sample slots getting mixed up when you reapply the sounds if there are other patterns using them.
Sound banks are super usefull, sound pool even more so for inserting multiple sounds(with their parameters) on one track.

Sorry for bringing up this old thread but the other ones I found regarding this topic are even older. My question is if there is any improvement on achieving what OP was asking for? I´m in the same boat and before I try it the tedious way I just want to make sure that I didn´t miss anything… Is the Transfer app an option for this?

1 Like

@autotectonic I believe there’s a relatively simple solution to this issue if I understand your question correctly.

SAVE TO Saves the active project to the selected slot.

So say you’re messing around in a project, this is your “active project”. Once you’ve created a pattern you want to expand upon (and you want to do this in another project), go to Settings>Project>Manage Projects. You will see a screen with all of your projects, and a small arrow to the left of the “active project” name. Scroll down to a blank slot and hit the right arrow button. Scroll down to “save to”, hit yes, and name your new project.

You should see the new project is now your active project (it’s also identical to the old project you were messing around in). You now have a new project with all your existing patterns and samples that you may expand upon freely. All you need to do is delete all the other patterns you don’t want to use in your new project, which I find much easier than copying over individual patterns/tracks/samples from one project to another. Hope this helps!

10 Likes

Massively helpful. Thank you!

I just go to SAVE PROJECT AS. Pick a new slot, give it a new name, then delete anything I don’t want. Simples.

I dont know how many of you are familiar with it, but I mention it anyway. A very fast way to do it is with a computer in elk-herd. https://electric.kitchen/crunch/elk-herd/

2 Likes