Copy To Locks: Why?

Can anyone explain to me the utility of “Copy To Locks” on the preset file menu (manual ref 8.4.1) ?

I understand it’s purpose (copy a preset to locks folder) but I’m not sure I understand how it is useful. The only thing I can think of is for gathering together a set of presets you might use on a track.

So far as I can tell it doesn’t really add anything else ?

BTW I’m not asking about the locks folder itself, which I think I understand, I’m asking why “copy to locks” ?

• It doesn’t appear to be necessary for making preset locks (you can do those from anywhere in the preset folders, right ?
  • it doesn’t make any difference to what is backed up with a pattern sysex, because you’ll get all the locked presets backed up anyway. They are automatically in the locks folder, you don’t need to copy them there.

So is that it ? It’s just for organising a set of sounds as you start to create ?

2 Likes

Anyone ? :point_up_2:

1 Like

I don’t know what its purpose is either. Maybe it’s a holdover from an older design.

Actually I thought about it and I could see out being useful for making large “kits” kind of like a favorites list for a project. Not sure how useful but maybe that’s indeed the idea behind that.

Yes, that’s that’s similar to the conclusion I was coming to …