Cool hardware audio processing units

Nerds Without A Cause

13 Likes

I save my own presets so that I can skip and jump between them at will. The sequencer, however, seems a little opaque for now. Definitely something I’ll investigate further, along with the destructive editing of loops.

I like that description of the T-Res 2; action painting describes how it works rather neatly.

it’s useless in stereo

Hah, told you so! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Other than that, the chorusing/flanging/delaying combined with the drive are pretty tasty though.

Also, if you’re into soldering and that sort of stuff, you can have a look at Mid/Side Matrices with transformers. They’re simple to wire up and pretty useful if you sort-of want to apply a mono effect to a stereo source.

1 Like

Hello,
sorry maybe, probably stupid question. Are you using the fx loop out on fusion box and if so, how do I connect it to a mackie vlz 12 for example? So that I could connect the indiv outs from tanzbär to the mixer channels and play with amount of fusion dirt on the channels.
Good night, thanks

Just mentioning the Erica acidbox3 (again) - it’s silly good

1 Like

I rarely miss anything I decide to sell, but just last night I thought about my rack of Electrix -effects and started to think about buying them back. They are kind of a mix between tabletop and rack-units. I used to have all four of them and a patchbay for choosing between effects.

Repeater is a 4 track looper (the best in history of loopers some say), Warp Factory is a vocoder, Filter Factory is an overdrive and analog filter and Mo-FX is a delay, tremolo, overdrive and flanger. Beautiful units (maybe not visually though…) and quite affordable (except Repeater).

8 Likes

Thread got me lusting after a Deco. Thanks everyone

4 Likes

The fx loop is an input. You can feed the right channel out back into the fx loop.

Ah yes you did. I couldn’t remember who said it to quote. Thanks for the info, though that sounds like it’s beyond my skill set :wink:

Rodec restyler. You can do single filter and dual filter the loop. You can -12/-24dB on filter slope. You can do transient design. You can overdrive. You can gain stage too. Thank you to the elektronaut who sold it to me.

Ensoniq EPS… you can record a loop at near 44.1 hz sample rate, turn max sample rate up and tap the analog VCA till you get the “AMP” light hitting on average to warm up your loops. This works on the 16+ and ASR too. The trick is your peaks need to hit AMP just a touch and you get some warm results.

SSL X Desk. I do the same trick with this I barely hit the red with only the peaks. You get punch without distortion. If you abuse an ensoniq it will sound bad. It is hard to abuse the “red” on the X Desk. But my preference is just a “tap” of red on the peaks of my source material. When you are mixing 16+ tracks the dynamic range gets tossed out of the window if everything is in the “red”.

my recent experience with …

sherman filter bank 2 - complicated , it made some nice filter noises and distortion but wasnt straightforward enough for me to turn on , get results quickly and quite expensive … £400 + for 2nd hand if your lucky.

t-rezonator ii - again , it could make some nice noises , delay / filter / reverb , but slightly tweaking one knob could throw the audio out into mass noise/volume/feedback , i never really felt comfortable using it , i felt like at any moment , any slight tweak could do some damage … around £200 2nd hand , not much more brand new.

oto Bistcuit - sounded great , quite flexible to use , some of the finer things were tricky to use but a few hours with the manual and it becomes understandable … theyre expensive now though.

kp3+ , easy to use , quite varied fx and the live pad thing helps mess about with it . it can do midi / temp syncd stuff . about £150+ 2nd hand.

editiable dsp type boxes.
the Mod Duo box looks interesting , its a guitar box though there is a more knobby friendly version coming out . a bit expensive though. some recent youtube vids show what it can do.

Nord micro modular / Modular keys/rack - can be configured to do lots of nice things . start about £200 , not many knobs, editor is a bit dated but very capable old device. can do synths , fx , thoug not really delays/reverbs , more like compression, distortion (instant) type things rather than longer sounding things) . rack and keys becoming more expensive.

Axoloti - heading into the realm of DIy , programming things on pc and running them on small box , capable of lots of nice things (mutable fx have been ported to it) . … axocontrol adds knobs … not straightforward to use but can do nice things from the youtube vids ive seen.

if you want non ‘real’ things , i’d recommend an ipad with an interface , lots of great apps , quite cheap , … can use an old iphone/ipad depending on the os , … probably not what you want though… not the cheapest solution but very good results.

5 Likes

Thanks
I realize I have no idea what to do. Someone has to show me step by step
Add more noise to the noise is what comes to mind if i read your reply, but i just dont know and dont understand.

Check out the manual here. Page 3 is all the info. There’s nothing more to it.

https://www.ericasynths.lv/media/fusionbox_manual_200x166_web.pdf

Empress Zoia is on the way…

3 Likes

Best of luck with it. I watched a video and the interface seemed too complex for my needs / powers.

Thanks, yes i read it and bought it exactly because there is not more to it, just play around wirh noise and flanger and gain.
I meant i have not much knowlege about fx send return on a mixer (my fault) and here how to use this fx loop.
But I heard better use it normal as send fx for individual channels jamming. Just my fault dont know how.
Merci

1 way to do it (from the look of your mixer, there’s more than 1 way):

1. Plug aux send 1 (on your mixer) into fx loop on fusion box

2. Plug out of fusion box into it’s own channel/track on your mixer

Now. Whatever you want to be effected by the Fusion Box…use the green knob of that track/channel that is labeled AUX 1 to increase the amount of the effect from the Fusion box it uses.

Also use the green knob labeled aux 1 master to control amount of effect & the volume control of track/channel you have the Fusionbox connected to.

This is how I use effects boxes with my mixer…looked at a pic of your mixer, so the above should be accurate.

I remember this is something that confused me as well…BEFORE I bought a mixer. Something I do to reduce frustration & bad purchases is to read the manual & do a bit of research prior to the purchase.

Edit - Looks like there is also a pre/post button on your mixer (if you want the sound to be affected pre or post it’s volume fader/control.

If the Fusion box is stereo you should be able to use the stereo returns as well (instead of using fx loop, use stereo outs & stereo in’s if it has them)…then you won’t have to waste a channel on your mixer.

You have a lot of possibilities with your mixer man, read the mixer manual & see what you can get out of it :slight_smile:

Has anyone heard updates on Zoia recently? It got enormous buzz in January and then fell off the face of the earth since (not even a mention on their website). Maybe they have their noses to the grindstone working on the thing.

There was an update on IG. It’s still on the way. They want it out by the end of the year.

1 Like

Wow thank you so very much for your big effort to help me.
Will try soon if I come closer to indiv channel tanzbär- mackie- f box jamming.
Unfortunately I lent it to a friend at the moment.
Yes I read the vlz 12 manual, well written, many possibilities, for me too much, even more complicated on a allen heat i also have,
And here the fx loop thing confused me more.
E nauts is a great and often very entertaining place.