Converting sysex file?

Hi everyone,

I’d like to try some of the elektron’s soundpack on my MD. Having a MD mkII without +drive, I was wandering if it would be possible to hear just the samples before loading them in the MD…anyone knows if there’s some sort of ‘sysex to wav’ converter (possibly free…)?

Thank you

Edit: did some basic research but find anything, so maybe the answer is ‘no’…

Same question here…

I have a couple of samples backed up from my MD, how can I convert them to audio files which then can be used in software (e.g. Maschine, Kontakt)?

maybe with c6? load the SySex files and save as wav. dunno if it works

I don’t find a “Save As…” command in C6. That’s actually the puzzling part: C6 can convert between WAV and SDS formats, but only for transmission.

Check Awave Studio, it supports SDS midi apparently.

it also supports MIDI SDS, and SMDI transfers.

http://www.fmjsoft.com/awavestudio.html#main

1 Like

I have that soft, I can try. Were can I find free SDS files for MD ?
(Too lazy to plug my MD via midi interface for now).

Thanks for your help. No idea where you get SDS files. It seems although a standard, it’s pretty much supported by nothing except most sampler hardware. Libraries are nowadays not offered in that format. I’ll try the software when I find some time. However, the Mac OS X version is labelled “experimental”… which is a bit of a joke for a price of 75€.

It would be nice if Elektron added the feature of converting Samples directly to C6, since the software already can do it. It just misses the UI to allow it.

Yeah, that’s odd. We should probably try ask Elektron, since .sysex files are somewhat different between midi instruments (at least to my knowledge), hence the name (system exclusive).

I exported a sds sample from MD.
Awave Studio works, plays sysex file directly.
You can export in any audio format.

I’ve also been searching for the same. Really wish this worked for mac!

:thinking:

There are ways and means to do that…

Is Awave Studio Windows only then?

1 Like

To follow up; in case what I said was a bit vague; yes you can export from MD (or anything else) and convert the Midi SysEx back into audio file. It is “just” using Midi SDS. So like I said, there are ways and means with the right bit of software / conversion etc.

2 Likes

Thanks Rusty! I’ll be on the lookout for conversion software that is mac compatible. @sezare56 posted about the Awave Studio software but it only works for windows unfortunately.

1 Like

I’ll let you know if I find something that does just that :wink:

1 Like

Hello guys, did someone found a solution please ?
Pretty disappointed I don’t :frowning:

SoX and Audacity both support converting to/from SDS.

I have a related problem. I can convert files to SDS, which is wha the MD wants, but really it only dealt with that format via the c6 app. Now that this app does not function in OSX (as of Mojave), how can one convert SDS files to sysex for transmission? Or is that not a thing…?

EDIT - looks like it’s only a matter of changing the extension, which although a shame is not a huge deal.