Convert Midi CC to different Midi CC

Look. I love the way I can tweak how engines sound on m:c and I use temporary pattern savings all the time. I‘d really love to tweak the sound of external gear using the m:c through Midi CC. It would be nice to sculpt the sounds coming out of my Microfreak only by using the knobs on my m:c.

It seems like the Midi CC codes on the m:c are fixed and can‘t be changed.

Does anybody know of a way to convert/translate an incoming Midi CC to another Midi CC that then gets forwarded to another device? Converting Midi CC 18 to Midi CC 56 for example?

I use this M4L patch and use Ableton as a go-between, when i need to remap CCs.

https://maxforlive.com/library/device/5087/cc-converter

It’s helped me use my DSI Pro 2 to control other hardware.

4 Likes

Blokas Midihub can do this with one of his Pipes. It’s called CC Remap.

A modifier pipe that remaps the CC id number from given input range to the desired output range. Any CC messages that are outside of input range will get discarded. Using this pipe, you may remap MIDI CC ids.

The incoming MIDI CC messages with the CC id number outside of the Input range will get discarded.

3 Likes
  • Hardware (small): iConnectMIDI/Mio, Midi Solutions Event Processor, MidiPal clones, BomeBox, MidiHub, etc. Usually need to be configured on a computer. (I’ve only used the first 3).
  • Software: Lots, but if you have an iPhone and a USB MIDI Interface, StreamByter is free and has a CC+Channel+Notes re-mapping preset.
2 Likes

Thank you guys!

2 Likes

I have the RK006 from Retrokits. That would work with that iOS app right?

I don’t have an RK006. If it is a class-compliant USB MIDI Interface, then it should work.

I recently did this link with a rk002, I dont know about the Rk006 but be aware or at least try with a computer first : pattern reload may not affect external CC send, and some CC of the MC may not have a full range (0 to 127).

Any ideas on how the decimal numbers behave over cc? Shall I assume they just don’t right?
mostly trying to get the fine tune pitch numbers to change from external stuff but also the color seems to offer similar fine changes
Thought maybe it could be packed somewhere as a NRPM but really don’t know what I’m saying, still trying to figure out how to wrap my head and stuff around them

Midi CCs are just whole numbers. 0-127. That’s it.

I think you’re talking about the numbers that appear on-screen for pitch and the color of a tone machine. Those are simply internal, there’s some sort of mapping happening between those internal numbers (representing real-world values for pitch and ratio) and how they are represented in midi. I’m not at all sure if those mappings are documented. I think you’ll need to experiment. Pitch for instance (CC 65) is represented on-screen as -24.0 to 24.0 so that’s 481 values … I can’t imagine how that maps to the 128 values available in midi.

1 Like

thanx, sure this wont be easy, guess i’ll stick to affecting that via the lfo till i learn more and experiment indeed. probably cv is nicer for this kind of fine tuning situations