Controlling synth CCs per bank, to simplify controller config

I have a Faderfox PC4 connected to the MIDI in of my Octatrack, and a Digitone connected to MIDI out.

My Faderfox is set up in rows, so that each MIDI channel I’m using on the Octatrack corresponds to a row of pots. The first pot in each row is track volume, the second is filter frequency, and the last two are variable, depending on which parameters are most interesting to control for the corresponding track.

As a specific example, the first pot of the Faderfox is mapped to channel 1, CC 95, and on the Octatrack the Ctrl 1 page of channel 1 has one encoder mapped to CC 95.

MIDI is generally working fine. I am able to control parameters on the Digitone, e.g. track level, either from the Faderfox or from the Octatrack.

I thought, however, that I would be able to map the Faderfox to the parameters of the Ctrl 1 page e.g. CC 36 with direct connect disabled. This hasn’t worked so far.

Question…

Is it possible for me to keep the PC4 configuration consistent, but change which CCs the Octatrack is sending depending on the current Bank?

Have searched for answers, but may not be articulate enough with my terminology to find a relevant answer. Cheers!

After a bit more reading, I think I’m looking for the Octatrack to be remapping MIDI.

From what I can tell, this is only possible with Direct Connect turned off, and using the auto channel.

This isn’t ideal for my scenario. I’ve set some of the PC4 pots to control things on Ctrl 1 and Ctrl 2 pages, which is great, but they only control synths when the corresponding MIDI track is selected.

You might be able to achieve what you want with a MIDI processor such as Blokas Midihub, using program change messages from the OT to bypass filters which then enable a bunch of mappings. Not sure exactly without trying it though, and it could be a bit complicated.

There might be another way that doesn’t involve another device, I’m not too sure. Sounds like something I’ve messed with on the Midihub so I thought I’d mention it.

1 Like

I think I’ve figured this out, for my purposes… Rather than mapping a Faderfox pot to a specific CC, I can map it to Breath Control or Mod Wheel, and instead choose which parameters I want to control locally on the Syntakt or Digitone.

I can control 1-4 parameters at once, and can choose the degree by which they are affected.

The limitation is that only two pots can be set up in this manner per channel (BC and MW) but for my purposes that’s absolutely fine.

In case this approach is useful for anybody in the future, here’s a great explanation of how to set up: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a2jMC2mnH-A

2 Likes

No Gear New Year is paying off.

2 Likes

A while ago I posted some presets for the PC4 for the Syntakt that do this:

1 Like