Controlling OT Via Midi

Another, but related question:
Is it possible to play slices using MIDI note data on auto channel, when SLICES is set to ON? I have read old posts that say you can’t, but it seems to be a very basic function for a sampler like the OCTA. I am thinking about playing the OCTA with an MPD32.

You cannot, unless you have a control where you can send the slice cc before the note trigger. I believe you need a small gap between the two as well. I’m about to do some experiments using an arduino based midi host/filter i’m putting together, so i can use my QuNeo for slice triggering. I’ll let you know if I have any success. Theoretically, ifi can get it working, it should work for anything.

1 Like

You cannot, unless you have a control where you can send the slice cc before the note trigger. I believe you need a small gap between the two as well. I’m about to do some experiments using an arduino based midi host/filter i’m putting together, so i can use my QuNeo for slice triggering. I’ll let you know if I have any success. Theoretically, ifi can get it working, it should work for anything.[/quote]
Some interesting and insightful testing and comments from oldgearguy on the OctaEdit forums regaring triggering midi by slices.

Link

1 Like

You cannot, unless you have a control where you can send the slice cc before the note trigger. I believe you need a small gap between the two as well. I’m about to do some experiments using an arduino based midi host/filter i’m putting together, so i can use my QuNeo for slice triggering. I’ll let you know if I have any success. Theoretically, ifi can get it working, it should work for anything.[/quote]
Some interesting and insightful testing and comments from oldgearguy on the OctaEdit forums regaring triggering midi by slices.

Link[/quote]
Agreed. oldgearguy should write more!

I have a worse-for-wear but working Behringer BCF2000. Does the Octakontrol give me anything that this doesn’t? If everything can be controlled via MIDI, it should then be possible to control the OT’s mixer with these motorized faders, right?

Link[/quote]
Agreed. oldgearguy should write more![/quote]
He does have a gift for it.

I’m pretty sure you could use that to control OT’s mixer - you could even have several pages to control as many parameters as the controller allows… I use a NanoKontrol with a MIDI-USB host to control volumes, mutes, solos, among other things :wink:

Hi guys!

I’m mapping a nanokontrol device to use it as a mixer to all my setup featured on the octa, it would be very useful to me if it’s possible to assign a CC to mute DIR’s INAB and INCD, because I have some synths running on it without spending a track from the octa, and an instant mute like on the normal tracks would be amazing

any tips?

thanks!

The template URL seems down. I have a Remote SL mk1 nad Remote mk2. Can you please share it again?

Reposted here mate:
https://www.elektronauts.com/files/454
Enjoy!

3 Likes

Hi! I thought that i had the perfect mixer/midi controller to control the octatrack but i might be proved wrong… The mixer in question is the xone 4:d.
I want to, for example, control the track volume of each track with one of my xone´s 8 faders. If i try to do so, i have 2 problems:

1- In my xone i need to assign one channel to the whole mixer. so i can only assign one fader of my xone to control one, or more track volume on the octatrack. I cannot use each of my 8 midi faders on my xone to control the volume of the 8 octatrack audio tracks.

2- The xone sends fixed midi cc values, the octatrack´s audio track volume cc´s also fixed, so i can´t assign the xone´s fader to the octatrack´s volume.

Is there any way that i could make this combo work?
I am a newbie in the midi and hardware world, so i am kind of hopping that i am doing something wrong and there is a solution to have my xone controling the octatrack :slight_smile: Thanx in advance

Sorry buddy, that really doesn’t sound like a good one for OT… You definelty want multiple channels and assignable cc’s… Looked at the manual for you too, it’s not going to do it…

Hopefully you already had that and have other uses for it as it seems quite expensive…

You can use something as cheap as this… You can configure different channels and cc’ s for each fader and knob with the editor on a computer…

2 Likes

When you don’t want to use an other midi controller, you need at least some kind of midi processor/converter which take the midi messages from your xone and converts them to different channels and different CCs and sends them to the octatrack.

This can be done with software on a laptop or you do it with something like the BomeBox.

1 Like

Yeah your right, I was thinking that but somehow since it was all one channel it didn’t click…
A device that can individually remap individual cc’s on one channel to different cc’s on other channels would do the trick…

This was what i was hopping that somebody had created :slight_smile: i’ll put IT on my wishlist. With something like this the xone becomes an awesome octacompanion :slight_smile: thanx buddy

Thanx mate! No I have this mixer for a long time and I love it. But I never really used the midi part, hopping to try to make it useful :slight_smile:

That’s one of the simplest things the bomebox can do.

It’s an absolutely amazing MIDI mangling and routing device which can be simply extended with more MIDI in/outs (by plugging in class compliant USB-MIDI interfaces).

… and takes MIDI from everywhere (Ethernet/Wifi/USB/DIN).

1 Like

Looks awesome! Just downloaded the Miditranslator pro (trial). This is the software that is used to make the routings of the bomebox correct?

edit: but can also be used only with a computer

Exactly.

Is anyone using the novation circuit as a midi controller for the OT?
I’ve ended up with one and have no interest in its synth/sample/groovebox capabilities, but am in the market for an OT controller