Control all - relative or take over?

Hi all,

I’ve read this somewhere but can’t recall it atm.

When using Control all, do the parameters move relative to the adjusted dial or is it more of a midi-takeover thing?

Ie. If I’m on track 1 and ‘control all’ the Bitrate, on track two if the BR is set to 64 would it not change until track 1 BR moves beyond 64? Or would it move relative to the knob change in general?

Not sure if this is making sense but I know what I mean, lol.

Cheers,

Bill

1 Like

They move relative to their position.

If T1 bit rate was at 0 and T2 was at 64. If you Ctrl all and increased bitrate to 10 while on T1, T2 would be at 74. Make sense?

4 Likes

It does and thank you for a straightforward answer and not the ‘why don’t you just…’ responses (was beginning to hate the internet for a moment there lol)!

Much appreciated!

1 Like

Its also worth keeping in mind that parameter locks will over ride your control all as they are take over locks and are not relative, you will still get a control all effect in between each trig if lets say they were all locked which results in a kinda cool stutter effect but at times it might not be ideal. A work around might involve using the lfo and locking it to different depths and phasings so that your parameter can be free of locks and act relative with a sequenced offset.

2 Likes

No problem. I agree about your views as well. Hope your visits here aren’t too bad!

Oh one more thing about your scenario, if you increase or decrease until all reach max, they will still be locked to their relative offsets. So when you move opposite direction it’ll be the same as before you turned the knob.

Not sure that came out coherently…

1 Like

Wow, I did not realize this. Thank you!!

I knew about the PLocks but the everyother

Thanks - I’m not sure it did.

So if you reach their max values and return your control al back to its original setting, would everything else be back to their original settings? Or are they now tied to each other and keep the same value from that point on?

If the two controls are offset by 64 and you “bottom out” the knob so both are at 0, when you increase them they will retain their 64 value offset. They don’t get locked at the same value.

Mind you when using Control All, the usual method is to FUNC + No after to revert all changes back to before using Control All. So even if the settings got all messed up you can still recover.

1 Like

And don’t forget to save via FUNC + Yes before you start messing around with Control All - otherwise you lose all changes you’ve made since the last save.

2 Likes

Oh yes! Forgot to add that :slight_smile:

Regarding the ‘bottoming out’ of parameters it would be good to have the option for this behaviour to be different for the sample slot setting as stopping at 1 or 128 limits the potential to cycle round (i.e.: 126,127,128,1,2,3) to find more interesting combinations of samples while in CNTL ALL mode.

OH yeah - I know about this (and constantly prove to myself that I need to remember to do it, lol) - just wasn’t sure about the specific behaviour of Control All.

I do like Badbass’s idea about being able to adjust the default behaviour of the Control all, or any controls really. I know the DT is almost maxed out with regard to processing power (I’ve read anyway) but maybe some options would allow some more functionallity without adding new features.