Considering letting go of gear before leaving the country

Gonna leave the country soon to work in South Korea, considering selling some gear so I can purchase an OP-1 and still make music out there over the next year.

My concern is that when I return I’ll have no gear (OP-1 is cool but I couldn’t do a show with just that I don’t think)and never get back to where I am now. I don’t make a lot of money and find it take a long time for me to save for little metal boxes of joy.

Currently, I have these items - which are plenty for me:

• Elektron Octatrack (kinda consider this to be indispensable though I can’t take it with me travelling)
  • C&G Organelle (PD is an amazing world of weird noise, but I get fed up with the customer service from Critter and Guitari)
  • Volca FM (kinda cool and feed it to the organelle quite a lot for processing)
  • PO-14 (never use this for anything)

Do you think it would be a grave error to sell my Octatrack and try to save for the lesser Digitakt in the future? Seems like quite a big step down to me. I feel like I use most features of the Octatrack.

Advice?

sell everything, if you miss it once you get there just buy it again.

Don’t ever sell the Octatrack … sell everything else if necessary to grab the OP-1. But take the OT with you also, as it is international power and easily hand luggage…

1 Like

Why cant you take your OT? Small enough to go on hand luggage.

1 Like

I always thought it would be cool to maybe teach English in South Korea … even did a certificate at Tafe in 2011. The radio sampling function of the OP-1 would be way cool while travelling. Many flavours.

Another +1 for finding a way to keep the Octatrack

This. What are the circumstances that dictate that you can take the (insufficient for you) OP-1 but not the (indispensable for you) OT?

Which country are you leaving?

Does anyone else here have an Organelle AND and OP-1 currently? I’d like to hear peoples opinions… Shreeswifty the main user patch maker is killing it, but I’m attracted to the idea of portability, all in one-ness and robustness that the OP-1 offers.

@Cosmic I feel that maybe the Octatrack will be too heavy and subject to damage, we are planning to travel not just to South Korea but throughout Asia and maybe beyond. I’d be worried it would get buggered up by the elements and slow me down/keep me indoors.

I should add that I’m not planning to do any shows abroad, just keep myself amused with some nice music making and recording. Leaving the UK @PeterHanes

1 Like
1 Like