Considering an octatrack

Fair point.

You need at least 2 hands for Octatrack so :

5 Likes

Wow. Youā€™re on a roll with photoshop today, arenā€™t you.

1 Like

Reclycling. Enough for today. :wink:

1 Like

Sure you donā€™t have energy for one or two more hits?

Elvis is back, with the OT2. :wink:

13 Likes

Incredible ā€¦ fireworks of fine Photoshop art today ā€¦ :thumbsup:

2 Likes

6 Likes

The Octatrack isnā€™t difficult to come to terms with, assuming you donā€™t approach it as you would any other sampler youā€™ve ever used. I think that was my biggest frustration with the thing. This is one of those cases where being experienced in the Kurzweil, Akai, Roland, Ensoniq and Emu, etc way of sampler thinking is something that works to your detriment. It might be easier to approach this as a total novice. Iā€™ll caveat this by saving youā€™ll probably have a different experience if youā€™re already familiar with the Elektron OS/vernacular paradigm. I was not, prior to buying the Octatrack and I had been using Roland and Kurzweil samplers since the 90s and was also a Kontakt user since v1. I love it now and it has a permanent place in my studio. Learn what it does really well (hint: A LOT) and exploit the hell out of of it.

1 Like

Where can I buy this Elvis t-shirt?

3 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: Octatrack questions

Ahh, so it was the King that pulled it off. I thought it was going to be Hendrix or Lennon as they would save lots of time cutting and splicing tapeā€¦ :grin::peace:

I agree with Peter in that it makes sense if your planning on buying an A4 and Rytm anyway, might as well get them first and see how you get along. The rytm may be totally suitable for your one shots, the OT would be extreme overkill for this function but would open up all sorts of other possibilities, which could be a blessing or a distraction. Any one box and especially two is powerful enough to make tracks, the trinity is outrageous, but certainly not required.

The learning curve of the OT is different for each user depending on how techy/scientific their mind is, and their past experience with gear. Some find the OT not difficult, and some find it extremely difficult. The two are not mutually exclusive. For example, someone with a studio full of midi gear, sequencers, and a few Elektrons for the past ten years is going to find the OT worlds easier right off the bat than say a not so tech savvy traditional musician with no hardware gear experience wanting an advanced looper. Iā€™ve been reading the forum for years and am also basing this on hundreds of accounts. Iā€™ve seen it takes days for folks to figure out how to use a main advertised feature, and I have even seen members in doubt convinced by the forum that the OT is not difficult, only to spend a ton of money and end up pulling their hair out. On the other side Iā€™ve seen folks comment on how it was much easier than expected and donā€™t understand why itā€™s difficult for others, but no matter how easy it is for them does not change how difficult it is for someā€¦ In the end many keep the OT and absolutely love it, and many sellā€¦

The OT with its many possibilities and configurations also requires more of an in depth understanding of how it operates on a subtle level to be able to utilize it to its potential and also get around tricky road blocks that can come up in certain use cases. This doesnā€™t really happen on the A4/AR so much as they are more streamlined and focused in use, they do what they do, and you donā€™t get stuck in strange corners which can happen in the OT, but these strange corners to explore can also be an OT advantageā€¦

The A4 + AR is an extremely capable combo, and plenty to chew on for a bit. I suggest downloading the OT manual and giving it a read to help determine if it seems difficult or not for youā€¦
I definitely would not buy an OT just for one shots, but it is an amazing addition to any rig if your up to use it to its potential. Iā€™d say see if rytm is good enough and learn it and A4 until DT is released, then decide if your good with rytm and if not choose between DT, OT, or other companies solutionsā€¦

Whichever way you take it looks like good times ahead!

1 Like

The King was a reference to MachineDrum, :wink:

Elektron tried to work with Hendrix but he was burning any gear.
They finally chose Cenk, much more respectful of Elektron Machines.

13 Likes

Haha!
Bye the way thanks for my new IPad backgrounds! :monkey_face:

3 Likes

Thanks for the insight.

Although it wonā€™t be for a little while Iā€™m leaning toward the full scale jump into the elektron pool with the trinity.

3 Likes

This is very good advice and analysis ā€¦ there is one thing I would add, because it has been repeated often and is very true.

There is an ā€œElektron-Wayā€ to those boxes, which is different, compared to many other gear.

I started with the OT, maybe two years ago, but had embraced this concept from day one. People had advice that Elektron gear shouldnā€™t be forced to follow my ideas of workflow, but that I better should be open minded and learn the OT ā€œas isā€ and continue from there. I tried it and it worked for me.

IMO many complaints about Elektron gear seem to have their roots in trying things against the Elektron-Way :wink: And ā€¦ because of the complexity of the OT, it hurts and frustrates most, if we are working against its concepts.

2 Likes

Yeah, totally agree. The Elektron workflow can seem odd at first but makes lots of sense once you learn it and go with it. It does often seem that users get frustrated because they are just approaching the gear from the wrong way to achieve something, but if you flip it to the Elektron way the goal can be achieved easier with a different approach, and after awhile that approach sinks in and makes more and more sense as you goā€¦
I must say to @EnricoPolazzo and add to what I said above that I absolutely love the OT and am blown away with the things it can do. In a way I see it as multiplying the potential of the other boxes because of the way you can sample them and then free up their tracks again, and the stuff you can do with the sampled material is just ridiculous to mix back in with the other boxes, plus midi control, tons of fx, etcā€¦
I guess I just err on the side of caution whether to recommend one or not from the issues Iā€™ve seen others have with it, but really itā€™s my favorite piece of gear and highly recommend it if your up for it. If you put in the time to learn the octopuses ways, it will reward you with absolutely delicious deep sea audio treats!
:atom:

That is one of the funniest pictures I have ever seen. I actually LOLā€™ed.

3 Likes

For sure if you only saw Octatrack pictures in your life. :smile: