Consider to buy an Octatrack MK1: Hope of a cure, or other solutions?

Octatrack, its so much more versatile. You’ll thank yourself later.

the plus for the Polyend Tracker would be the easier not so heavily shortcut and sub menue based approach.

I don’t think so. I was very dissapointed concerning Polyends Usability and Workflow because I was expecting something similar to the Teenage Engieering or Elektron Products. I think that is where the real beauty is. And Polyend Tracker looks good, but the UX/UI is a mess (imagine the ok/cancel option is not always the same button on different screens).

Confirmed. Metalboxes are the same size. Only the I/O-ports differ.

4 Likes

Hmm. Didn’t noticed that and I wonder why nobody mentioned it in a review/tutorial.

So you would say the Octatrack is more consistent regarding the workflow?

More questions arising: the most confusing thing is the data structure of the OT. For example is there a way to make templates blank presets?

I own both machines and i much prefer The Octatrack. It’s just more of a playground then the tracker… I make more esoteric music and I think with the effects on octatrack you can get wilder then on the tracker… I say they both have their strengths and weaknesses. But generally speaking I’d say Octatrack is the stronger contender… I would opt for a MK2 if you can afford it due to better screen and added buttons (which means less frustration trying to remember shortcuts)

Shameless self promotion underneath:

In this video I’m using a loop from OP-1 and importing it to Octatrack and Tracker to see if I would get different results…

And in this I’m trying to sound like SOPHIE, by just using factory one hit samples and applying different techniques to produce FM hits… I actually tried doing the same thing with Tracker but never got near the same result as I got with Octatrack…

2 Likes

Update :grin: I’m super excited since I was never so close to get an Octatrack. I can get the Polyend Tracker for €380 as well … good deal.

So going low with the Polyend Tracker for €380 or all in with a new OT? In fact it would a new OT for €650

Yes. Yes. Yes. You won’t be disappointed with a new MKII, will have 3 years of warranty, and a Tracker would make a gear addition later on down the line for granular, wavetable, and few other tricks that the OT can’t do.

You feel uncomfortable for a reason. Listen to your inner voice. Thats bigger than the voice of the OT will ever be.

Buy OT and Polyend Tracker then! :pl:

1 Like

Haha maybe at some point after a year of going into one of the machines. I can imagine using the Tracker as drum machine only the Octatrack for the rest. But honestly I think I’m way more happy with one machine. I like to be reduced and focused.

And in the end the Polyend Tracker means much more screen staring than the OT I assume. The OT once understood seems more like an instrument. In the end a / the Tracker is highly IT based.

2 Likes

static_noise

Just to confuse you that little bit more, one massive advantage of the Tracker is the pads and the ability to put them into musical scales with a layout of your choice. It means I can concentrate on finding notes that work with my track rather than second guessing if this part is totally ‘wrong’ musically to this other one. Plus they are lightening fast (compared to a ‘piano’ keyboard) and you can roll and slide your finger up and down for runs easily. It’s hands down my favourite feature of the Tracker. I would buy it again just for this if my unit breaks for some reason.

It’s just money. She wants to give it to you, let her. You’re making her happy by letting her take part in your music hobby.

Thanks for pointing that out. I’m not sure it’s a feature I would miss since I do mainly stuff by ear and like accidents. When I decided to make the OT a birthday gift. I may buy the Tracker too for 380€ since I can sell it for the price easily again.

Any experience on how tight both units can be synced?

But at what point do you start listening to yourself? Never? You cant do anything about the past. But I guarantee at some point in the future your GF will remind you of this decision. And then you will disbelieve yourself even more.

Not personally. I sold my OT a few months back. I have a Model:Samples to test but that’s not the same thing. The OT is extremely tight for midi clock tho, which is why so many people use it as the centre of their setup for live work and in the studio.

static_noise

2 Likes

What was your reason to do so?

We all have in some shape or other. No. This comes from working as a Psychiatric nurse/ Counsellor for over 20 years. Ive had a lot of one to ones with men exactly in your situation.(partners buying things they can’t afford for them).

Money. Haha. Don’t worry, there’s nothing wrong with the OT. I wanted the new black one badly, but I just can’t afford it anytime soon.