Connecting usb device to digitakt, dawless

well I possibly will use a daw but for the most part I will not. is the differenc that the midi4+ has no daw integration? or is it the mio 4 can not operate without a computer?

Can you explain why would you choose midi4+ over the mio? Mio can work in standalone mode no problem. From what I can see Midi4+ might appeal more to ipad users.

1 Like

I have read throught their website, ive already know the mio4 is going to do exactly what I need. ive done my research. you just told me I need a midi4+ and Im trying to figure out why

> What is the difference between IconnectMIDI4+ and the new MIO4 appart from the look ?

iConnectMIDI4+ USB Device ports cope with USB Audio. mio4 is a MIDI only interface, no USB Audio support, hence no Audio passThru feature.

iConnectMIDI4+ is an Apple certified product, it has native iOS support, it can be connected to iOS devices using the included iConnectivity 30 pin or iConnectivity Lightning cable straight out of the box at no additional cost. mio4 has no native iOS support, however it is compatible and will work with iOS devices using either the Apple 30 pin Camera Connection Kit or Apple Lightning USB Camera Adapter (both sold separately via 3rd party) as a MIDI interface.

so does this mean using the rectangle usb port on the mio4 with the novation control xl will not work for me? im going to be using it as a controller for my digitakt with the mio4 between the two

Mio4 also can be powered from mains but I see it doesn’t come withe the power adapter.
My mio10 came with the power adapter already.

1 Like

Can’t find that info in the manual of mio4.
There’s no problem with the mio10 which i have connected using power adapter.
I could try to run it from usb bus and see if it will power up usb host.

I did find that info in the manual, the usb host port does supply power, its the only port on the device that will

oh wow, that adapter is more than I thought. recently ive been watching what people can do with their ipads and its pretty cool, I might use one in the future. so all in all the midi 4+ does what the mio4 does but also has integrated ios support.

1 Like

Ok so the mio10 isn’t bus powered at all like the mio4 so can’t do the checks here.

The mios are also class compliant midi interfaces so will work with Ipads through camera connection kit.
But seems that Ios suport is better on IconnectMidi4+ and you get Audio pass through.

There is a chance that mio4 could pass through power to connect the USB host devices if you power from a USB port with enough Amps.
Usb host suplies only around 0.5A.

But I didn’t see anything in the manual stating that you need power dapater to use USB midi host funtion so…
That’s a good question for Iconnectivity support. Will mio4 power up usb device conected to midi host port without power adapter.

Doesn’t need to be computer. you can use USB wall socket to power Mio4 using usb bus.
And unbranded 9v 2a power adapter is only about 10euros around here

im going to go with the midi 4+, that’s going to save me cash in the future if I want to use ios, and if I would need to buy a power adapter for the mio pricing are not that different.

klonheadz, so your saying I could use a standard usb wall brick as opposed to buying their adapter?

Going with what @bradleyallen said confirming that Mio4 will power usb host when it’s running on USB bus power. There’s no difference whether USB bus power comes from i.e computer port or usb power bank or usb wall charger.

thank you both for helping me with this

So going further with that you could have Digitakt running on battery power pack. And mio4 running from Usb power bank and supplying power to novation control xl. No mains needed

1 Like

@north4 No problem man. I’m happy to learn more about the iconnectivity devices too.

1 Like

yoooo that would be awesome! I could be camping and cranking out beats haha. more realistically my coffee table would be my work station without any cords on the ground to trip over:)

1 Like

Seems like both choices are good. Subtle differences. You get 2 more cables and better Ios support with Audio on midi4+
Mio4 could be slightly cheaper and bus powered if needed.

1 Like

I just ordered a Midi4+ got it for 150$ on reverb, not too bad lol

1 Like

Good stuff. Enough of that gear mumbo jumbo. Let’s make some music now :slight_smile:

1 Like