Connecting usb device to digitakt, dawless

what have you used to connect usb devices to your electron gear? ive seen most people use a Midi to Usb Host box, if thats what you use what model do you have?

my goal it to connect a Novation launch control xl to my digitakt. the novation requires a powered usb connection from the host box. any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

2 Likes

iConnectivity Mio series

3 Likes

I searched “Digitakt USB midi host” and got this thread full of information.

3 Likes

i have looked into the mio series and ive heard a lot of mixed opinions, some people its great but others have a lot of difficulties. have you used one in a similar way i will with success? if so ill buy one haha

perfect, thanks man. i overlooked that thread

yeah I have the mio 10.
3x samplers + 2x synth +Digitakt + Machinedrum + mfb522 on Midi Din ports and 3x Novation remotesl + another synth on the powered usb hub into Mio host connection. Everything can go into DAW. Also there’s Midi routing capability so I can route any device into whatever port I want. Not sure what kind of difficulties. It’s the centre of my my rig. 10 devices max when using powered hub can go into mio.

2 Likes

oh wow! your getting a lot of use out of that box haha. you said everything can go into daw, is it still functional without connection to a daw? im not planning on using a computer. ive seen reviews and forms that people said that sometimes it was difficult to establish a connection.

would the iconnectivity midi 2+ get the job done? im looking at this one-
https://reverb.com/item/18525789-iconnectivity-iconnectmidi2-with-lightning-and-dock-connector-cables-midi-interface

. you can setup your routing through the aplication and save the state to the memory of the mio. Then it’ll remember it even whenin standalone mode. I never had problems with connections. Can even work with
2 x computers at once. Also ethernet Midi available

That one that you linked is not mio series. so a bit different. From what I can see it does not have usb host port. Only 2x usb to connect to pc/ipad and 2x midi in/out din ports.
Checked their other products. The smallest Mio2 also doesn’;t have Usb host.
Only mio4, mio10 and iconnectivity4 have the usb host port
https://www.iconnectivity.com/products/midi/iconnectmidi4plus
https://www.iconnectivity.com/products/midi/mio4
https://www.iconnectivity.com/products/midi/mio10
But i’m not sure is iconnectivity4 working the same way with saving presets for standalone operation. The mio should be working as i wrote earlier

3 Likes

Many, many options available when searching the forum.

https://www.elektronauts.com/search?q=usb%20midi%20host

3 Likes

awesome, this is the most clarity I have gotten on the subject so far, im fairly new to intermingling gear like this. price is a concern for me, id like to keep it low so I can fund other fun stuff. ill probably go with the Mio4 it sounds like it will suit my needs well.

I did see another host for a reasonable price, do you happen to know anything about this one?

thank you so much!

I’m sure you can find a cheaper solution to meet your current need and if you think you won’t add other midi gear anytime soon you might want to go that route.

Butt… If you want room for expansion for the future I highly recommend the iconnectivity boxes. By only connecting cables one time you get tons of flexibility controlling the routing of your midi and also being able to filter and remap midi data. It makes it so you can control exactly where midi signals go and not go.

Over time as setups grow folks often end up with complex chains of midi that get tricky to figure out the right connections and use boxes that merge and split signals, all in one fixed connection setup that if needing other routing must physically re cable, often needing to draw out diagrams of signal flow just to figure it out.

The Iconnect boxes eliminate this by handling all the routing internally and end up offering much more possibilities of signal flow. You never have to rewire anything you just change the routing in the editor and can save and recall states. The filtering for one example can solve problems that come up where one of your midi devices is sending signals and unintentionally controlling something else with no controls on the device itself to stop it. The remapping as an example can help you say control any cc you want from a midi device that’s sending out fixed cc’s. Lots more too. Total MIDI Swiss Army knife…

3 Likes

I am planning on expanding, and the level of control it sounds like you get with an iconnectivity is for sure going to help me out in the future. as of now I have a Novation launch control xl in the mail and being able to map its controls with my digitaks is a hugeeee plus. im fairly new to this scene so buying gear now that I wont have to replace in a couple months is the goal haha.

I have heard some people talk about the novation launch control xl does not light up the pads when connected to a digitakt. I can see this being a little frustrating when muting tracks and not having a visual of what is and is not muted, I wonder if the iconnectivity boxes could fix that problem? any insight on that?

Not tried the Digitakt, but I use a Novation Minikey with the Analog four, through my laptop using the standalone overbridge. There is a setting in the options with all connected MIDI hosts. No DAW required, though it does use a computer, which you may not want. Still its handy if you have usb keyboards but no midi host handy.

1 Like

I am trying to stay away from using a computer, not for any particular reason other than I feel more connected to what im doing when Im all hardware. good to know though, I need to explore overbridge

the next learning curve for me is going to be configuring the channels on my digitakt and map everything correctly on the mio4s interface to work with the launch control xl. wish me luck haha

1 Like

Mio 10 is awesome

1 Like

Sorry wouldn’t know anything about this one. But I can see it’s got only 1 midi out? for 89$ I suppose for about twice that mio4 gives so much more. don’t underestimate midi routing as mentioned before.

yeah after doing more research im getting the mio 4. seeing how people integrate hosts into their setup and knowing my vision for the dream setup, the functionality of the iconnectivity is indispensable.

1 Like

This hasn’t got a lot of midi ports, but it’s caught my attention…

bro that’s awesome, I wish devices like that were more accessible. 700$ for that is a little out of my budget. it would be cool if more midi controllers included midi usb host capabilities, more functionality in one box