Connecting the Octatrack to Digitone

I’d like only to sync the pattern change when I change bank on the Octatrack.

You can program a specific Program Change message into a Part (using a MIDI sequencer track) on the OT. If you were to only use one Part in each of your OT banks then it should have the desired effect. Edit: see also the helpful comment below by @Open_Mike

If so, you should deactivate the automatic sending of Program Change messages in the OT’s PROJECT menu, but activate receipt of Program Change messages on the DN.

1 Like

I think you could use more parts if wanted and just set the PC change the same on them, so no matter what pattern/part in the bank you land on it sends the same PC.

1 Like

Great!!

The Program Change and that MIDI things are still a headache for me. If I use 4 MIDI tracks (I´d like to use more than one for each Digitone track, but for now it doesn´t work) where do I have to set the PC? In a trigger? Maybe in another MIDI track?

The Program Change message needs to be sent on the same MIDI channel as your DN is using to receive Program Change messages. It is therefore likely that you would use a specific MIDI sequencer track on the OT for the message.

You set the MIDI channel number (“CHAN”) and PC value (“PROG”) in the NOTE SETUP page for the MIDI sequencer track. Leave “BANK” set to “OFF”.

3 Likes

Thanks, that would help.

MacProVideo is amazing for this,they have step by step videos that walk you through the process. That and the manual had me up n running in no time :+1:t2:

1 Like

Maybe it was mentioned already before…not sure.

One option to facilitate program changes from OT to DN is to use the recently added multimap feature within the DN. You can map the range of notes to patterns and control them by triggering notes on OT with the proper receiving midi channel setup in the DN.

You can even use the DN to trigger PC’s on other synths as well, e.g. DT to follow PC’s by chaining the DT to the DN. The only let down is the PC starts reliably only with the next pattern. Tried to microtime the first trig on the OT to the most early position to enable the PC within the same pattern, but that would not trigger the PC early enough to work reliably with it.

Here a little overview of the notes and the related pattern:

Nevertheless I think the best way is still with the proposed solutions above (direct link of OT-DN pattern )…but multimap is still an option to consider I guess.

3 Likes