Connecting Elektron AR M1 to Pure Data or / and SuperCollider

Hey Elektron Folks,

I’m having rather special questions, not knowing, if any of you can help me at all, but as I’m working on a little project this is quite crucial to know:
I’m trying to send MIDI-Clock via USB to my computer (MBP 13’’ 2017), for to hook it up with Pure Data and/or SuperCollider. ( I think anyone who fiddled around with any of these programs, will have a good clue on why :wink: )
Anyway, no matter what I do, I cannot recieve any MIDI Clock data from the AR. The AR works all fine with OB, (which is very nice by the way), but Somehow, there is no MIDI Clock when running the AR not in Overbridge Mode, but in just-Midi-Mode. Anybody knows, why? I feel like some time ago, I was able to start/stop and temopsync the AR just via MIDI not via OB (in Ableton Live). Now, this does not work anymore.

So I’m having two questions:
1.: Could be that, for the sake of OB compatibility, MIDI-Clock functionality is somewhat reduced in any kind of way?
2.: Could it be, that when running in OB-Mode, tempo sync is managed via OSC? Because that I would be also able to use, just I don’t know how to access it.

Thank you guys, I hope someone can help me out.

1 Like

MIDI clock via USB from AR/A4 with latest OS hasn’t worked for nearly a year.

For the record, my ticket of 6+ months for this issue was “closed” without it ever being fixed. Shoddy.

1 Like

Hmmm, Thank you, seems I have to get a MIDI interface -.-’ sooo redundant…

Dont you have a audio interface with a dedicadet midi io?

Not yet but I will get a hold of one sooner or later.
Wanna know if it works when I get it? I could report here.

btw. I sometimes get some chunks of midi clock data from the AR but it’s very very unstable and very sporadically… All other messages are transportet, trig-keys the knobs, the pads. even when pressing the stop-button twice I can receive a message in Mac OS’ MIDI Monitor. The only thing not transmitted is the bloody MIDI Clock!

Before i would definitelly dig the osc route… Maybe ask elektron via support ticket.

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know, that I fixed it:

The support from Elektron told me, that the USB-MIDI Support is broken on the latest OS. They want to fix it until February 2018.
I wanted to try though, got me a MIDI-Interface and it works now: I’m controlling the timing of sequencers of PD via bang, that PD receives from SC via OSC, which receives MIDI-Clock pulses from AR. The start button launches the pd-sequencer and the stop botton stops and resets it.

If anybody is curious, I can share both the SC-Code and the PD-patch.

1 Like