Connected AK & Rytm to OverBridge but get low quality sound

I’m using an old late 2009 mode iMac with 8 Gb ram, upgraded SSD drive and just using main outs of AK and RYTM at 24 bit, but the sound quality seems off. Every sound out of the AK sounds a bit thin and distorted. I’m using Bitwig as my DAW and MOTU UltraLite mk3 is my audio interface. I created an aggregate device with the MOTU, AK, and RYTM with the latter two set to “Drift Correction”. Clock is set internally to the MOTU. In Bitwig I have audio inputs set to Aggregate Device and for outputs I’ve tried both Aggregate Device and MOTU. I sometimes lose communication with the Elektrons so I’ve set the buffer in Overbrdige and in the DAW to 256 as 512 was causing communication dropouts. I’m using original Elektron USB cables going from the AK and RYTM to dedicated USB slots in the iMac, and not into a USB hub. Is the AK normally kinda thin and raspy sounding? Is my setup correct? My iMac is running OSX Yosemite 10.10 and can only go maximum to High Sierra 10.12. I have Analog Heat as well but unfortunately need to upgrade the OS to High Sierra for OB support. Will upgrading to High Sierra and OB 2.0 fix these issues? Any suggestions besides going back to the analog routing way or buying a new computer? The former is not appealing bc I hate cables everywhere and love using the OB interface to adjust parameters in AK and RYTM. The latter I can’t do bc I’m unemployed and can’t afford a newer Mac. Please help. Thanks!

I mentioned in my post that I’m on 10.10 but need at least 10.12 for OB 2.0. I’m currently using OB 1.15. But I don’t know if OB 2.0 will fix these issues or make them worse.

Is there not one among you here who can help me with this predicament?

Have you compared an Overbridge input with your audio interface input?

What do you mean? Input levels? There’s no changing those. I get a sound. But it doesn’t sound “hi fi”. It sounds kinda 8-12 bit raspy and not full.

I/O buffer size might be the culprit.

I often get dropouts from either DT or AR, glitching, freezing, and the like with Overbridge It’s all pretty frustrating. Not sure the issues 100% I had the same issues using the TR8 over USB as well. :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

No, I mean testing your Overbridge input audio quality vs your audio interface input quality. Likely it will both sound pretty similar.

1 Like

Ok I will try when I get back home. I hope this is not how the AK sounds as I’ve heard people not liking the sound of the AK/A4 but I’ve heard some amazing demos of them on YouTube.

Can I try upgrading to OB 2.0 and if it’s sh*t them I can go back to OB 1.15? Is this possible or I’d be stuck with a buggy or incompatible OB 2.0?

You are better off on the latest.