CONDITIONAL LOCKS? More details, tutorials on usage?

“PRE is true if the most recently evaluated note condition on the same track was true.
PRE-BAR is true when PRE is not.”

say you have two trigs [x][x] with the first one set with probability 25%…if the 2nd trig is set to PRE, it will only fire if the first trig fired. Simple right? They don’t need to be next to each other either, PRE looks at the last conditional trig that was processed on that track.

3 Likes

3 Likes

They were discussed at length when the OS was released, best read through that discovery thread, probably os1.3 mega thread or some similar title

As mentioned above

Pre is useful to tie a future trig to a previous one (both same based on first condition)
Pre-Bar is useful to ensure either/or happens but not both
Nei Nei/bar does the same but looks to Track(-1) (so you can’t use it on track 1 iirc)

Pre-bar is useful also to convert a 1:4 (ie Y N N N Y N N N etc) e.g. to 1:4-bar which does not exist (i.e. N Y Y Y N Y Y Y etc) use a Trigless lock on a spare trig before the Trig you want the ‘1:4-bar’ to happen on and put a 1:4 there, now put a Pre-bar on the actual Trig you want to play 3 out of 4 times consistently (rather than 1 out of 4)

3 Likes

Maybe this

5 Likes

Yeah. :heart:

Excellent stuff!

Yeah that’s my Noob thread and CarlMikaelBjork does an incredible job of explaining them. Highly recommend.

2 Likes

I read the appropriate page of the manual 10x now and I’m having trouble understanding if and how conditional p-locks are possible. It seems like fill mode is the only option? What I want to do, for example, is bump up the reverb on a clap 8:8. Of course, I could just program a 64 step pattern, but I’m really loving the conditional trig’s ability to keep my patterns at 16 steps. Any ideas?

Hey buddy…

You might want to try this excellent tutorial from @CarlMikaelBjork

Please try to use the search function to see if there are informations elsewhere in the forum.
It’s more interesting for everyone to get the info on the same place :tongue:

Short thing for your example : hold your trig, hit the note menu and turn the knob on the upper right
“2:4” means : play this on each 2nd bar of a 4 bar loop (= 64 steps)
So you will want to turn it to 4:4 in your case, I believe

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks homie!

1 Like

If I’m not wrong n:n refers to pattern cycles not bars.

2 Likes

Oh, you are totally right indeed…

“A:B will be true on the A:th pattern iteration, then true again after B iterations, repeating indefinitely”

@hotscience this is explained p.43 of the manual, pal :smiley:
You got to do your homework with such machine, you know !
No way to escape it !!
:smile:

1 Like

That, I’m familiar with. I’m using 4:4 constantly to make patterns that seem to be 4 bars, but are only one. My question was can I just put a p-lock (not a trig) conditionally on a trig that is not conditional in itself. Like, I have a clap on 5 and 13, but I want to bump up just the reverb (p-lock) on step 13 only every 4th time around. This makes it sound like that can only be done in fill mode:

That’s another chapter indeed.
Conditions apply to the whole trig, not a particular lock.

Now maybe you can fake this…
Say you want your clap on 4:4 to have a huge reverb, while the regular clap has no reverb.
This clap would be set e.g. on step 16.

What you can do is set your regular trig on step 16 with condition -PRE (with the bar above)
And you set your reverb trig on step 15 with condition 4:4 (EDIT and you move it with microtiming next to step 16 ! weird, I was sure I had wrote this already)
:smiley:

Nice tip! Gonna try that for sure! You’re the man @LyingDalai !

2 Likes

Ahaha na, I’m just repeating what I found in this place.
:gun: :tongue: :crossed_swords:

1 Like

Piece of cake!

Just add right after the trigger clap (step 13) a PLOCK (on step 14) with Full reverb locked.
Use micro timing (FUNC + LEFT) to move that PLOCK to the very left so it will overlap with the clap on step 13.
Finally set TRC to 1:4, so it will be triggered only each 4 pattern reps.

That’s it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Whoa genius! Admittedly, micro timing is one of the functions I’ve entirely neglected so far. This is amazing, thanks!

2 Likes

EDIT: Corrections was made so ignore text in italic.

I think it won’t work.

-PRE means that it will be triggered when previos evaluated condition was false.
So when the previos trigger (PLOCK Reverb) is true (1:4) the CLAP won’t be triggered so there will be no sound at all.

On the “plocked Reverb” step (15 moved with microtiming), I would set a real trig : that would trig the CLAP with the reverb on 4:4
The other loops, the real clap would be trigged on step 16.

It works in my books :smiley:

(And I was pretty sure I had written “microtiming” somewhere in my previous post, but it has disappeared while writing it I guess ^^)

1 Like

Yes, using a real trigger with micro timing should works.
It will be 1/384 bar delayed but… almost imperceptible so it is ok :slight_smile:

2 Likes