Conceptual OT approach tailored for my needs

Hey Octatrackers,

I’m about to start my OT deep dive and need your advice/inspiration to paddle in the right direction.

Here’s some background info:

• Style: Danceable Downtempo (see below)
  • Machines: OT, A4, AR, some effect pedals
  • Compose with Clavia Nord Modular G2 a lot
  • Curently still use a five track loopstation to live-mix my prerecorded tracks (I know…)
  • OT will now replace the looper to make my performances more complex/interesting (also tracks can be performed longer)
  • My initial focus will be to use a minimum of what the OT has to offer to keep it simple, while pimping my gigs considerably

Questions:

• How would you go about this?
  • What sections of the go-to reads do you recommend?
  • Any other advice?

Thanks so much!

PS: this is a live set, I recorded the other day, comprising my own tracks only:
https://soundcloud.com/jaschar/liverummelsbucht-3-wuza

First advice, take you time, read the manual.
Ask more precise questions.
Maybe you can start with looper settings, Pickup machines. Do you need overdub ?

5 tracks = Rc 505 ? I had it after Ot, but sold it.

Yeah, I was referring to the RC 505. I might keep it in my setup for a little longer, simply because in theory it makes transitions smoother. However that’s what the A4 is there for actually, so nvm.
I will not need any looper functionality out of the OT, so no need for overdub and the likes.

Asking more precise questions makes a lot of sense, so here it goes:

• what’s the benefit of having 7 tracks and 1 master track, over 8 tracks?
  • is there a resource for performance settings templates (scenes, etc.)?

I use track 8 as Master effect, you can apply it to the 7 tracks, compressor, filter, reverb, delay…
That way you can set other individual fx for each track.

I would make my own templates, because you have to know what are the settings. It’s very personal.

2 Likes

Perhaps you want some thru tracks to monitor your hardware and apply effects. And maybe some recorders set up to record them and some flex tracks to playback different sliced/warped versions of them… Then some scenes set up to mix different mixes of the tracks and/or add effects… Maybe your effects units on cue outputs to send tracks to them… Some midi tracks for more control of external gear…
Lots of options with OT… You’ll have to experiment with them and the more you learn the more you can configure your own unique OT setup customized for your liking… Start easy, learn one thing at a time and have fun, pull it all together a bit later when you understand everything more… Enjoy the ride!

3 Likes

it’s difficult to debunk the ot from a ‘conceptual’ stance…

when i’m learning an instrument i try to have two separate and complimentary phases

• learn the technical details

• play

keeping them separate initially allows you to fully understand the potential of the instrument.

2 Likes

Here’s how you might do it
5 tracks on the OT for playing back your pre-recorded material. Chop that material up into 4-8-16-whatever bar sections and use slice mode so you can mix it up during the performance
2 tracks for the A4 and AR in: this removes the need for a mixer, and it lets you do effects from the OT.

either
1 RAM machine to sample the input audio so that you can chop it up in real time, do seamless transitions between songs
or
Master track so that you can apply global FX like delay/filter/beat repeat to the whole mix.

The trick to making this shine is to set up a whole bunch of interesting scenes controlling the FX settings, mix settings etc, and really learning how to perform those.

1 Like

I prefer a mixer as I would already need a second octatrack for my needs ! :grin:
I use DIR for my A4 input, and it goes to master track 8 Fx. It saves a thru track.
Sometimes I use 4 flex tracks for only one sample mangle…

2 Likes