Compressor/external effects unit for syntakt?

FMR Audio RNC1773 Really Nice Compressor

It’s a fantastic compressor for its price range

2 Likes

Not sure how you’d use a hardware compressor with Syntakt? It just has one pair of stereo outs. Are ppl panning kick or something?

:thinking: Plug it in compressor inputs ?

3 Likes

And use what as ‘key’ to trigger the compressor?

No selection of signal in and you’ll just get mush? … assuming you’re making music with bass drums.

:thinking: Earth frequency ?
A stereo compressor can be used on master without key/side chain. Btw it would be interesting to try with ST headphones, use a low pass or bandpass filter and use the signal for side chain…

2 Likes

mix buss compression doesn’t need an external key, you can just send a stereo output through a compressor and compress the entire buss.

though having sidechain EQ makes this process much better, and keeps the lows from heavily triggering the compressor

2 Likes

That’s an interesting idea. They’d need summing but I can imagine it works with a high pass.

Yeah, AH+FX is not cheap, but it’s IMO not expensive neither, if you really think about what it offers. For me it has wasily been worth the money. BUT still, the amount of money it costs is still quite a lot.
Many good options mentioned here already, but I’d throw in one more and that is Empress Effects ZOIA, which has stereo compressor, multiple reverbs and craploads of other effects and you can build patches where you combine those how you want and there are plethora of crazy patches people have already made for it. Everything it has is also IMO top notch. The Cons are that it’s as a default not that hands on, but it has MIDI I/O so you can map what ever controller for it, so in the end of the day, not necessarily that big of a con. Also it can be a tad bit confusing at first, depending how experiencing you are with patching stuff. But it’s IMO definitely something to think about when considering the needs in the original post.

1 Like

I wouldn’t use Zoia for that, compressor is just ok. Zoia is good for original fx.

1 Like

Alesis 3630 for Parallel Compression sidechaining and lofi work. at £60 or so in great condition its a no brainer.

2 Likes

Surprised nobody mentioned the SP404mk2? Works for me

THIS.
Without a doubt.
Then when you get the money, put an Analog Heat behind it.
I am using a FMR RNC (as a pseudo limiter) after OT (OT is used to mix/sample my modular).
It then goes into an AH used as a saturator, gentle EQ, bit of dirt and Env follower.
Does wonders :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Recent video on AH+FX

1 Like

nobody mentioned nABC so far

4 Likes

I really love mine, but it shines as a sidechain/ducking compressor on a mixer buss. It’s really cool that you can trigger the sidechain with Midi (and audio or gate/cv) on it, but on a single pair of stereo outs box, like Syntakt, you can’t use its killer feature. Maybe with the opposite hard panning workaround, but I guess you still need a mixer for that anyway

2 Likes

Because it lacks a dry/wet setting maybe ? (I don’t know specs)

It doesn’t have a regular power supply, is that correct? USB power only? If so that stinks for me.

Yep, I’ve recently added the FMR RNC to combine with AH mk2.

1 Like

NICE :slight_smile:
How are you using it? Before or after the AH?
Curious :slight_smile:

To be honest, I’ve not had a chance to use them together yet as living in temporary accommodation with a lot of equipment boxed up. Will report back though!

1 Like