Composition and mixing with headphones only?

Either Roland Studio Capture or RME Babyface Pro. Both running them just fine!

Both :slight_smile:

I have Neumann kh120 but sometimes they are too much for my room, hence the idea of getting the iLoud

I used a range senheiser for 20 years, but every time I checked mixes on other systems I was over compensating for the thin low end and the bass was boomin. I recently switched to ATs and the difference is out of this world, so much closer to my monitors and other systems. Even the cheaper ATs are excellent for me, a little clamp on the head after a while but great…you could mix on cans and check on monitors for sure…

I just bought a pair of AKG702’s, has anyone here used these directly with an interface. I’m wondering if they’ll be ok to use with my Ultralite Mk4? Got them today and right now they don’t sound all that great, I know they’re 65ohms so not high powered, they’re lacking bass right now and a bit harsh in the high’s, but I know these cans require about 300 hours to burn in so I’m not making any judgement yet. Anyone know though will these be ok to use once they’ve been burned in rather than having to buy a headphone amp?

If I’m gonna need to buy a headphone amp too then I’ll probably return within the return period and get a higher powered pair.

To be honest, that’s just how they sound. I doubt it’s down to power as I used lower ohmage phones, like ATH-M50 with a mk3 and they sounded fine. If you stick with them you get used to it.

1 Like

Cool, well I’ll break them in and then judge it. I guess what I want is an honest representation. I’ve been using my AIAIAI studio preset cans which are supposed to be a flat response neutral pair too, they sound great but they’re closed back and sometimes my ears feel knackered and don’t wanna cause damage so decided to get an open pair to use too. Maybe it’s down to said burn in period but I notice a big difference at this stage and if there is generally such a difference the I wonder which ones I should be trusting most as an ‘honest representation’.

Open back will always have less bass. It’s not really their strength, hearing slight changes in reverbs, delays etc and generally having less coloured sound across all you can hear. Less coloured sound across possibly hundreds/thousands of changes…

1 Like