Compact Flash - Latest and Greatest

No. OT uses CompactFlash cards up to 64GB.

2 Likes

I got a brand new SanDisk Extreme 16 GB, 160 mb/s CF-card today (since my old 50 mb/s was too slow for long static loops). When plugged in the OT totally freezes immediately!
I can read/write on OS X without any problem. Any wisdom on this?

1 Like

Is the stock card painfully slow?

Not at all, itā€™s only slower when transferring files from the computer in my testing.

1 Like

I have a 32GB 266X Kingston card, which works OK when using the Octa directly, but accessing from Mac or PC, locks up the system during transfers. It also works OK in a card reader.

Card which came with the Octa is fine. :confused:

1 Like

I recently purchased a new SanDisk Extreme 64GB (120 MB/s, UDMA 7) and it works like a charm.

4 Likes

I am curious as to what size flash cards your adding to the OT, are you buying small size cards or adding large size and just having 1 card with everything on?

Just got my octatrack last week.

Iā€™m on the Kingston 16gb that shipped with OT. Itā€™s fine so far but I could happily fill a 32gb+ card with more stuff from my sample collection on my laptop. I found myself having to weigh things up and leave a lot of stuff out when I did my initial sample import to cf card/audio pool ā€¦
So I guess Iā€™d say just buy the biggest/fastest you can afford and fill the audio pool with as much as you can. Obviously if you donā€™t have a lot of samples laying around already that you want to import to OT then 16gb is huge and gonna be enough for a pretty long time.
Before I got my OT couple of weeks ago I thought 16gb would be enough, and it is really, especially compared to my other samplers, but I did find myself wishing I had more space when bringing samples across from laptop, and also had to guess at how much to leave free for resampling etc. I decided 2gb will be enough for resampling for now. But Iā€™ll def be buying a bugger card at some point. Though I canā€™t really see myself ever using more than one like you mention. Except possibly for backup etc.

The day it arrived I started transferring wavs from maschine packs but then quickly ran out of card space. I have a 64gb arrived now but havnt used it yet, I think itll need the wavs put into certain folders and separated out but spending time reading at the moment. I guess when i work out with the device more will add larger libraries. thx for replying so quick

Finally, after getting back into composing with my elektrons and ranting daily on this forum, I have issues (compact flash issues):

Static samples are being cutoff after a few minutes, my OT freezes up and I have bugs :ant: in my saved parts and project when I rebootā€¦

ā€¦after backing up, reformatting, sleep deprivation and consuming too much sugar and caffeine, itā€™s time to give up on my CF card (Sandisk ultra 8GB)
I re-read all compact flash card topics on the old sacred forum and also dove in the world of wedding photography compact flash card complainers.
My thoughts are the card doesnā€™t have a long lifespam if you take it on the road. My OT has traces of rust on the front panel from the sweat, blood, piss and tears of touring with it. So I should count my blessings the card was still able to be backupped!

So I read the new forum for a suggested replacement card, the latest and greatestā€¦

The information on why to choose a certain card is lost in biased or incomplete posts about peopleā€™s purchased CF cards. Most is only concerned with getting the largest and fastest possible, I donā€™t really care or need either of those features.
All my samples of 19 years sampling to zipdisks, floppies and 20mb atari drives fits on a 4gb cf card and I have all day to load 'm on to a card.
All I really want is reliability and stress free work on the OT!

Now where to goā€¦ I found a kingston 233x 16gb (same type/series that came with my OT when I bought it) and a sandisk extreme 16gb.

Buying smaller is a waste of money as 16gb cards today have great $/mb value. Anyhoe, before the caffeinesugarrush wears off, Iā€™d like to ask if anyone can object to using either of these cards? Any reason I would be getting trouble playing back my static samples in the near future? Any reason my wedding photos will be forever lost in binary limbo?

Thank you!

The Kingston one is the new stock card from Elektron

They do not ship the device with cards that sell the device short - faster cards are wasted money, they have no real world benefit except perhaps for improved loading times whilst shuttling data back and forth in GBs from your PC - as far as the device is concerned the 266x is fast enough with a margin on worst case scenarios, this has been proven - get the tried and tested one imho, also comes with Elektron seal of approval

2 Likes

i recommend the sandisk 32Gig card, but see if you can find it at 400x speed. fwiw iā€™ve been using one for years with (touch wood) no issues.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick replies! I will go for the Kingston as I like the idea itā€™s their stock option.

@dubathonic The sandisk extreme is the 400x one!

Hmm, or I will buy both with cheap canadian dollars (decadent a-hole :wink: ) and see what difference it makes, because a lot has to do with workflow. Static sample use, rebooting, temperature (Quebec is very very cold), etc. Everyone uses and abuses data differently and I tend to use disks and drives 'till smoke comes out!

I just ordered a 2nd one of these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NUB2RPW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got it as a backup for when weā€™re playing shows in case mine randomly craps out (better safe than sorry!). Iā€™ve had no issues with my first one running and I can even use static machines and the slider to alter slices without much audio dropping.

3 Likes

Finally got the card! Had a long session using nothing but static samplesā€¦ it works the way it should, I cried a little! Life is beautiful

3 Likes

Only 16 quid for the 32gb version, didnā€™t realise these turbo cards were so cheap. Thanks.

32 gb cards. silicon power 400x vs lexar pro 1066x

Im new to the forum, so alot of question threadsā€¦ i tried to use the search function but I guess this question could eventually help others.

I just got a second hand octa and while scratching the surface the original 4gb transcend card died (invalid mbr error)ā€¦ thankdully ive read that those cards are pretty prone to failing so its good to know its the card but not the machine itself!

Where I live I can either buy the silicon power or lexar cards 16 or 32 gigs, no other options without going online which is obviously not gonna happen as I want my octatrack up and running tomorrow. Both cards have some positive feedback according to google but those were old search results, so which card do you think is more durable/reliable? I want to insert it and simply forget about it as 32 gigs should be much more than enough for years to come.

Any information regarding user experiences would be super nice. Long static sample issues?
Much freezing? Etc etcā€¦ Thanks alot!

I suggest a browse above on the debatable benefits of faster cards, ultimately now itā€™s coming down to availability ā€¦ I donā€™t know the former brand but lexar are obviously a major flash memory brand ā€¦ it may come down to price but the price you pay for the extra bandwidth isnā€™t going to be that useful in all usage cases

The lexar is actually cheaper than the silicon power card. Lexar are totally fine with the octatrack and should work for years to come as long as i treat them right, right? :elot: Ive read two times that yhe silicon cards are reliable, also no static sample issuesā€¦

1 Like

sorry to bump this thread, but a friend is in the US and I was thinking of asking him for an CF card to have a backupā€¦
would this still be one of the best options for the money?