Comments show as sites in browser history

I noticed that whenever I open a thread, and read through it, every single comment in said thread appears as it’s own site in my browsers history. So if a thread has 79 comments. My browsers history is now completely filled with 79 websites as history, each with the said thread topic as the sites url.

Is this normal? Is there a profile setting I’m missing to clean this up? so the topic is only showed as a single site in my history?
ie: 2 threads visited. now I have a 10 sites flubbing up my history.

You see the notification menu in the lower left of the page?
There are chances you activated the “watching” level on a whole Caregory.
Set it back to normal and you should be good.

Edit: nevermind, I hadn’t understood what you had said.
I also have one line in my browser history for each page I visited. Seems perfectly normal to me.

not each page, I’m talking every comment in a single pages thread shows up as its own site in history.
the notification menu is its own thing altogether, like whether or not I’ll get emails for a topic.
the screen grab above is my browsers history for visiting only 2 pages.

Oh, weird.

Try another browser (I recommend Brave as it gets rid of ads) and report.

1 Like

same thing in chrome & safari
here’s a screen of chrome from visiting only 1 topic (aka 1 page), now the browser thinks I visited 12 different sites.

Are you on a phone or a laptop ?

laptop, same thing happens on iPhone

Yes, that is the intended behavior of Discourse. Use a browser that shows you the full url when the screen is wide enough (e.g. Brave), you will see that the URL is updated whenever you stop scrolling through the site. The simplest way to observe is to drag the blue scrollbar, once you let go and the page has stopped scrolling, the URL is updated.

That way, when you set a bookmark, it remembers the exact post.

2 Likes

so can’t change this behavior then ?
I have “full url” enabled in safari, I can see the update. still floods history with each comment as a page. well.
back to my ritual “clear elektronauts” history.

or is there a desktop app? or plug in that helps regulate this behavior better.

love the nauts discourse btw. always on with morning coffee :slight_smile: thanks!

I’m sure you can find a plugin for Chrome/Brave that automates selective cleaning of the browser history. I somehow doubt that Apple would allow something like that for Safari in the App Store, but I haven’t opened Safari on my phone or macbook in years so I can’t really say.

But I don’t think that’s worth it. Check your history, other sites are doing the same thing. Just ignore it, it won’t slow down your browser. And if one day you find this actually obscures something you want to find in your history, just can still search for “electronauts.com” in your history and delete all results with 2 clicks (at least in Brave).

oh totally… yeah it’s neh bothersome. i just finally thought, “maybe i’m missing something obvious”

discourse is cool. may haps i’m the one all too obsessed over “history”, even tho i know it’s not a real place actually getting cluttered :joy:

It is. It’s even cooler when a community gets in the habit of using the reply and quote feature :grinning:

1 Like

I found it! And observe the same behavior.
Never ever looked in the history, I should find a way to purge it automatically.

1 Like