Collider for the iPad

Just noticed this. See my other post. I am seeing sluggishness while using them.

Unrelated… How can I get the initial help screen back? I’m having a hard time trying to figure out what all the UI elements are/do…

Yeah the XY Pads are sending out a continuous stream of CC’s to all 12 tracks if you move your finger, so the AR is getting overloaded with midi messages…no way around that unless I rate limit or delay the messages, but then the filter sweeps wouldn’t be smooth etc…not sure what I’m going to do about that yet. Remember you can double-tap the XY pads to lock it to that position.

Here’s a link to the old quick-start guide: http://imgur.com/W5BHJVL

I need to add a toggle in the advanced options to enable the hint menu again, you’d have to delete the app and reinstall :[

1 Like

Thanks! This is really handy to help visualize all the track’s patterns at once.

Another question…

How do I get Collider to “read” the current settings on the AR if I make a change ON the machine?

For example, if I switch to a different pattern (i.e. A1->A2), I see that the BD engine goes from let’s say BDSH on the AR, but Collider still shows BDHD.

On the sequencer page, I can press the REC button in Collider to pick up any changes I make to the patterns on the box, but it never seems to read back in any synth changes.

Considering the complexity of the AR, the fact you’re getting Collider to do even half the stuff it’s doing is pretty miraculous I think! :slight_smile:

Not yet, I need to reverse engineer the “sound” sysex dump to do all of that (only actions that send out CC’s, and pattern sysex dumps are parsed by the app)…its on the list :o

There will be a few quirks here and there bcs of that fact

1 Like

I ordered a new iPad today, so if you are experiencing issues with iOS10, hang tight.

I made the sliders not jump and move relative, fixed some bugs, and added close buttons to the menu options.

1 Like

New version is out:

• iOS10 support
  • Fixed the loading / randomization of Kits from overloading the Rytm with CC messages (some tracks would not sync)
  • Added the option to sync specific tracks to the Rytm under the Track Edit menu
  • Added close buttons to menu options
  • The hint menu will now show every time the app is started

The Master Filter will still cause the RYTM’s LED’s to stop operating when in motion because it needs to send 24 CC’s (Cutoff / Res for 12 tracks) for every movement…I’m not sure there is a way around that since this is a “hack” to get a global filter. Adding a delay might cause filter sweeps to be choppy.

Edit: The next update will aim to include 200 famous / standard drum patterns alongside the current algorithms
(https://www.amazon.com/Drum-Machine-Patterns-Leonard-Corp/dp/0881888877/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476297599&sr=8-1&keywords=drum+machine+patterns)

2 Likes

A simple start up tutorial video would be very welcome especially for a newbie like me who is about to throw his iPad complete with Collider PDF out the window :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve tried making videos but they all came out super shitty and you couldn’t really see the interface clearly , I need to try again withy my bigger iPad! Bare with me, this is just a side project :[

In the meantime, what is giving you issues? What UI element or “page” is confusing?

The Mixer and Chromatic pages are simple and self-explanatory, I believe (correct me if I am wrong).

The first page with all the parameter dials for the selected track and the Pattern page are the most involved, and I do agree there should be a video tutorial for those. I will flesh out some tutorial today and try to record this week.

Midi setup, wifi, leads/connectors etc. The UI looks great. It’s getting there where the confusion comes from. Looking forward to your video but don’t rush on my behalf. Loads on the RYTM to keep me going in the meantime :slight_smile:

I suggest (before going further into more complicated things) that you try to see if it works when the feature is limited to master filter or master resonance, thus dividing the number of CC’s by 2.
it would still be an awsome feature!

I hear you, I need to experiment to find out the Rytm’s threshold for CC streams.

I’ll try to send something similar from ableton to see if there is a similar behavior, maybe we could then guess if this is an iPad related issue, or a RYTM limitation

Hello, a new update is out!

• New pattern population: over 300 drum grooves from multiple genres (Pop, Rock, R&B, Afro-Cuban, Swing, Reggae, Funk, etc)
  • Minor UI Enhancements

You can find the new Drum Patterns on the Pattern page, under the Algorithms. Double-Tap the scrolling menu to return to the default “Random” pattern…that will be useful since there are way too many to scroll through!

Also, if you know of anyone who has the RYTM, tell them about this app if you find it useful. I have < 30 downloads, lol ;(

is iOS 10 required for this update? mine doesnt work anymore (on 9.3.5).

No, iOS 9.0 and later like usual. What doesn’t work? Try deleting and reinstalling?

Nothing structural has changed. I just added some pattern presets.

Edit: doesn’t open on my 1st Gen iPad Mini (9.3.5)…Anyone else running iOS9? I wonder if iOS is just killing the app if it takes too long to load the resources.

deleted, reinstalled, no luck. i get a black screen, then it crashes.

Me too, on my old iPad…no idea wtf is going on, I need to look into it. It works fine on my new one, so I’m not sure if it’s a performance issue or something else…

I’m assuming you have an old iPad?

yep, iPad2. ive just devoted it for audio app use only and its worked very well in that capacity and im loathe to upgrade it to iOS 10.

Welp, the only difference is I am building with the latest SDK…seems something is slowing down the app and iOS is killing the process on old iPads. I need to optimize the load process for older iPads :\

at some point im going to break down and buy a new one and relegate this one to being an epub/pdf reader but its worked so well for audio, ive been in no hurry. hopefully you can get it running in the meantime.

also, in regards to your earlier message about lack of downloads. i have recommended the app to a few friends and i think one thing would help is an improved manual (other than that one image you posted a while ago) or perhaps some in-app tutorial/help screens. on the surface its a bit daunting esp for newer rytm users.