Collider for the iPad

I agree the Pattern page has a lot of items, but I don’t have the time to do a nice looking video. It would be faster if you just asked here what certain functions did. I do plan on re-doing the Tips views to be more thorough and explain each function, however.

2 Likes

a quick reaction: how to select one track (and leave the other ones as they are!), and start randomising some notes on i; try some different pattern lenghts(for that track only; than maybe make it more complicated with more advanced intelligent randomization. all on one track…
There are so manny things i dont know where to start, but this was where i stopped making music yesterday, as things did not do what I wanted, and my pattern started to go to hell :wink:
Basicly that whole page. :slight_smile: The video that exist is way to fast , short and basic. I don’t mind if it is a text or in the tips. i just would really like to use the app much deeper than the few functions i feel comfortable with from the main page; the same functions as 3 months ago…seems that anything i try further just messes the pattern :confused:

thanks a lot for your reaktions, time, efforts!

Still I would not want to miss this app for anything!

The left side is Track Selection. A Gold Track # means that Track can be affected by the pattern functions. If a Track is selected the Trig circles will have a gold border. You could also Lock a Sequence by toggling the L, which will also prevent it from being changed. The trigs will disappear to show that it’s locked. If you are scared about messing up a Pattern you can also save it to a Pattern Snapshot (P1 - P12) by Holding down a slot.

I will expand the Tips section this weekend. In general I recommend starting with an empty Project and messing around in the Pattern view to see what things do. It looks like a lot, but you will probably only be using a couple of functions over and over.

Let me know what you are trying that is messing up the pattern. If you just want to change an existing pattern, then don’t use the Drum Patterns / Algorithms functions as they will just make new sequences.

5 Likes

thank you i will try that asap…
I have another dumb question, what exactly is MFX?
distortion and compresion?

or delay and reverb too?

thanks!!

On the Kit side, MFX refers to the Delay, Reverb, Distortion, Compression, & Master LFO Pages. On the Pattern side, MFX refers to the Master FX’s sequence. The RYTM has an entire sequence dedicated for Track 13 (Master FX) which allows you to p-lock MFX Parameters.

4 Likes

haven’t figured out what the “linear” adjustment’s for.
getting there though…

Linear: looks at the columns of trigs and will linearize it by the amount you select. So, if every sequence has Trig 1 ON, and you use the Linear function at 100%, then only one sequence will still have Trig 1 ON. If you set the Linear amount to 50 in the same scenario, then half of those Sequences will have that Trig 1 removed. I needed this at one point, but rarely use it anymore.

3 Likes

I played with it a whole night. Very trial and error. I learned a little bit, but not enough for the time spent.
Could it be that some of the terminology used in the Tips section is outdated due to updates (in Patterns page)?
I think being new to this app it is not quite clear what the basic buttons/workflow is/ are (specially in Pattern page).

How to: randomise one empty track, and define how much notes on the steps there are?

Is there a way to play with the pitches of steps in a track?Is it possible to do it on a per step/ combination of steps, basis?
like creating a melody with intelligent randomisation?

In Kit page, is it possible to lock a couple of sounds, and randomise the rest of them?
(i think it is possible, but i’v been trying weeks to find out)

The Rytm together with this App is like having a crazy esoteric modular synth, but trying things out it goes a factor 1000 faster!

I am very much looking forward to an updated Tips section! Thanks for all your work.

1 Like

I don’t think the Pattern Tips is outdated, just sparse :), but I will add to it like I said.

1. If you want to randomize one Track, make sure only one Track is selected and then select one of the Drum Patterns / Algorithms or the Euclid function. Those 3 are the only ones that really deal with entire sequence creation. There is no way to specify the exact number of trigs that will be populated.

2. If you want to randomize the step notes, you can use the “RND Notes” function on the bottom right. This will randomly pitch the trigs. If you want to set the Pitch for exact trigs, the only way to do it is to enable the “TD” function on the top right. This stands for Trig Detail. Here you can select single trigs and see it’s properties. You would want to edit the “N” property, which stands for note. In general, however, if you are getting down the nitty gritty details it might be easier to just do things on the Rytm. I use Collider to get something started and make big changes. Once I find something that interests me, I will often move over to the hardware.

3. You can lock Tracks on the Kit page by choosing the side-toggle “LOCK” and clicking a Pad. You will see that it says “Lock” beneath the engine type. If a Track is locked, none of the functions will affect it. So, you could only unlock Tracks 1-3, hit “Subs”, and only those 3 tracks will be populated with the Kit Flavor of “Subs”.

1 Like

I think the mfx will change in example no.3 which will in turn pollute all tracks. meaning locked track don’t sound the same.

Yes, Kit Flavors will still affect the MFX and can also add Scene / Performance locks to those locked Tracks. I can add an option to disable this.

2 Likes

great. will make things predictable
thank you

this has always confused me because there is also Lock Engine, and even when using Lock and Lock Engine together their sound would change when randomising Kit.

whats the difference between those 2?

I think to me personally the most logical would be that the mfx and maybe the scenes and performances would stay ‘as is’ when randomising a pattern with locked Tracks.

Don’t get me wrong, I really love ‘features’, (hence elektron), but in my very humble opinion the app could benefit from more intuitive user interface and maybe(!) even sacrificing some features, or rather combining them in a more user friendly design (like for me personally: randomise pitches/populate trigger amount sliders for example).
To me currently it feels like things are implemented more from the AR’s spec-sheet, very complete, but maybe not so much from an intuitive user experience perspective. As said a user would use same basic features mostly all the time.

I might have never had such a strong love/hate relationship with any software;) It takes me ‘months’ to partly find out what a page does, as unexpected things always seem to keep happening.
But it could well be that I am just getting old and unflexible…:wink:

it is still my favorit app in the appstore. that means worthy to get an ipad for (a used one of course;)

1. MFX and Scenes / Performance won’t be affected by Kit Flavors next release

2. Engine lock just locks the Track Engine parameter, but Track lock locks everything

3. UI suggestions are welcome, but I haven’t found a way to streamline it while keeping all the functionality

1 Like

not in front of iPad rn but is it possible that create scene or performance buttons could refresh on every press?:crossed_fingers:t2:at the moment the results are often hard to detect, I understand why. so I am often spamming that button. wiping the slate clean every time seems unnecessary.

I know what you mean, but in the future there will be a UI to select which Tracks / Pages to create Scenes & Performances for. When that happens it will be useful to not have the Create button reset everything.

great. thanks for your time

in the main kit page there’s a potential point of confusion regarding the upper and lower ALL function. create vel/AT are governed by the upper. I would expect it to be the lower. is there a reason there needs to be two ALL buttons?

The bottom All deals with Parameter Control using the dials. The top All deals with functions applied to the Tracks. Create Vel / AT is a function and the bottom All is hidden when that UI is up as well.

Update Out:

• Kit Flavors will no longer affect MFX, Velocity / AT Mods, or Scene / Performances
• Scene / Performance creation now respects Track / Parameter Locks
• Added advanced options to Scene / Performance creation
• Expanded Pattern Tips
• Minor UI fixes

4 Likes