Coil whine from inside DT2?

Powering the Digitakt 2 gives me this pretty loud and annoying coil whine:

Is anyone else experiencing this? I’m considering returning the unit as that feels like faulty hardware. The latest firmware (1.01A) does not address the issue.

1 Like

I don’t have that ( in the uk )

Sounds a bit like the whine my electric pressure cooker makes when it’s idle.

This would really annoy me too tbh.

I got a noise when it’s off.

Double checked: it comes from the USB cable that was plugged in.

My Morphagene does this and even though I can’t hear with with headphones on it’s almost enough to get me to sell the module…

1 Like

I had to return a laptop because of noise whine.

1 Like

Talk to Elektron. This noise can be from a DC to DC converter circuitry. This can sometimes be load related, and this can be designed to minimize or eliminate it. Or it is possible it is a manufacture defect, though not necessarily one that will cause an operation failure.

Try to locate the specific origin location.

Elektron will be interested in this.

2 Likes

Not sure if this adds anything but coil whine would originate from the (switching) transformer in the power supply as opposed to the digitakt unit itself, if it’s not from a USB connection like lyingdalai suggested, try listening to the PSU brick itself as the point of origin.

If it’s definitely coming from within the Digitakt with only the DC supply plugged in, I’d think filing a ticket would be a smart move. If it’s coming from the power supply, there’s a thread I might be able to dig up about Elektron power supply noise, however, I think this would have to be an extra noisy one if that’s the case.

I probably wouldn’t want to “wait and see” with something I just bought.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies! The noise definitely is coming from the DT2 and not the power supply / transformer. I’m returning the unit hoping the replacement won’t have the same problem (that is, whenever they manage to restock which I imagine could be months…).

A bit bummed I couldn’t have it for the weekend as initially planned, but I guess these things are bound to happen especially for early buyers.

2 Likes

I have the same issue with the DT2 I just received. I’ve contacted Elektron.

2 Likes