Coding

Python is real good but I wouldn’t use it for UI stuff/desktop apps. C# with visual studio (theres a free community edition iirc) is good too. You could also look for job ads that interest you and see what languages they talk about.

That looks interesting. Are the things you learn with this app transferable to other coding platforms?

then, C/C++ is what you need.

python (already suggested by everyone) is really cool language, but it’s a language of a scripting/interpreted kind. compiled languages, like C/C++, are very different kind of stuff, so interpreted language(s) knowledge will help to some degree … but in very indirect way.

btw, consider installing Linux (e.g. Ubuntu, but actually up to you). it’s much more coder-friendly system than others, and has more than a lot developer tools of all kinds right in any distro’s repositories, and this is for free. and if your goal is synths/FX, then you’ll have many excellent examples of them along with their source code.

For realtime audio stuff: C++, Juce.

1 Like

It’s actually great for this with pyside2. Packaging is a bit difficult though.

2 Likes

If you prefer to be in the Microsoft side of things you should learn these things:

C# (or vb.net, but C#>vb.net)
ASP.NET
.Net in general lol
SQL in SQL Server

This sets you up to be a full stack dev (web dev with the ASP.net too). If you do go down the rabbit hole, make sure to get good at some kind of design pattern methodology i.e. MVC/MVP.

1 Like

Packing and unpacking is pretty simple to me. The cool thing about python is the 50 buhzillion different array types. Packing all sorts of shit into an array to pass to another function is pretty baller. IDK how much syntax sugar is there though as I am not really fluid with python.

1 Like

If you „just“ want to make music related stuff, Reaktor, Max, Audulus are all pretty powerful and still really easy.

Programming something similar from ground up, like a stand alone synthesizer for example, is a extremely difficult, very time consuming task and will require a lot of programming knowledge, experience and a deep understanding about the fundamentals of sound and the math behind it.

I don’t have much time right now to go through the whole thread, so I keep it short.

I loved programming since i was in my early teens. It was a passion for years. I started with basic(later quick basic 4.5), pascal, Turbo Pascal, Delphi a little ASM and then C. If i could change one thing in this regards, I would have learned C as soon as possible and then learn C++.

It might be a little hard in the beginning, but learning C will teach you so much valuable stuff you need to know in order to get better.
Personally i would stay away from YouTube tutorials and buy 1-2 good books about C. (I can recommend a few if you interested).

It also helps to start with really small projects. First learn the basics, and work on really simple projects in order to check if you understood the lessons. For example. Write a program that allows the user to input the name of a synthesizer and the Midi channel and a additional note. Program sorts the list so it starts with midi channel 1 and goes down. Programm Version 2 can save the file and reload the data. And so on.

If you don’t have such small projects, build something more complex will be almost impossible. Too many programming projects ,that are not part of a contract fail, because of the underestimated workload, lack of experience…

Anyway programming can be extremely rewarding, like painting, making music or any other creative forms of expression.

5 Likes

If you think this isn’t a good way you haven’t seen the german translation of this classic :smiley:

But the English version was a great back then!

1 Like

I’m not sure we’re talking about the same thing here. I was refering to software distribution (single executables, installers, etc).

We are def not. Sorry I thought you were talking about python technique called packing/unpacking d’oh

1 Like

Give a person a program, frustrate them for a day.
Teach a person to program, frustrate them for a lifetime.

11 Likes

i just started Processing. It is made for usefull stuff like animations and graphics … totally my thing because I see what I do .

1 Like

lol :joy:

This is going to do I earn a lot of ‘friends’: :rofl:

C++ is the king, others are low-performance and low-abstraction languages.

I’ve been coding in Visual Basic, Python, Java, PHP and Javascript until I discovered C++ few years ago.

3 Likes

for those interested this popped up in my emails, it’s mainly about Faust which I never tried but looks really interesting, it allows you to make your own vsts and other cool stuff … oh and the course is free.
EDIT : oops it didn’t keep the link properly : here

5 Likes

HECK YES! Thank you for sharing!!!

2 Likes

It looks nuts tbh (as in really good)
You try it out in your browser and export to vst, max, puredata etc…
Haven’t spent any time with it, but sounds cool
https://faust.grame.fr/doc/examples/

2 Likes

innteresting :open_mouth: i had a look a while ago but at the time it wasn’t as feature-rich as it is now…maybe worth looking at it again :smiley:
thanks for posting this one @khaled

2 Likes

So I want to try Python. I’ve found this course. I have no idea how good it is, but it’s often recommended for beginners, and it’s 93 % off (only the next 10 hours) so I thought I share it here…

https://www.udemy.com/python-the-complete-python-developer-course/?ranMID=39197&ranEAID=a1o1REVAqJg&ranSiteID=a1o1REVAqJg-_3LP35ETUcLZUp37O31GmQ&LSNPUBID=a1o1REVAqJg