Clipping?

Is there a setting to avoid the sound to clip or i just need to rely on my ears or an external compressor ?

Adjust the input setting, you can visualize your input level and just need to stay bellow the limit.

4 Likes

Ok but what about clipping on the output, after the heat fx ?

When it comes to clipping, it’s all about gain staging. Adjusting the input setting of th Heat is a part of gain staging & would affect the output of the Heat as well. Check the output volume of whats going into Heat, Check the output volume of the Heat, the input volume of the Heat, Input volume of whatever you’re recording the Heat into… volumes on everything can affect clipping.

I adjust all volumes & on the Heat I also adjust the wet/dry mix, the drive, the wet level until it sounds the way I like (again, all affect the output). For example, the sp404sx on high volume sounds like shit & the input of the 404sx clips easily, so I try to keep the volume of the sp404sx lower when sampling it & whatever is going into the sx lower… the volume of each piece of equipment affects the output & different equipment clips easier than others.

That’s the best way I can explain it. I had to get to know my gear & the way their output sounds (also inputs if I’m using them) to get better at gain staging.

Hopefully someone else has some tips for you :blush:

1 Like

It’s a distortion box. It’s job is to clip. That’s how distortion works.

I haven’t heard any in box clipping problems. Could be your source.

2 Likes

If it clips after the FX, it’s most likely that Heat output is too hot for the next piece of gear in your sound flow.
Adjust Heat level, then.

2 Likes

Thanks for the insights guys !

I know it’s a distortion unit, but for me, distort is different than clip ; clip is never good and it will end up squashing the sound and make it sounding worse.

My main concern is i’m mounting a live rig where the heat will be the last unit in the chain and (at least so far) i won’t use any limite or compressor after it. So i want to make sure the sound going out from the Heat is lovely distorted BUT not clipped.

Just watch the output level from the Heat then, if your input into the Heat isn’t clipping, and the output from the Heat isn’t clipping whatever mixer you’re running it into… then there’s no clipping! There must be something at the end of the chain after the Heat, some kind of mixer into amp, mixer into monitors, or straight into an amp. Either way, just keep the output of the Heat appropriate for what it’s going into.

3 Likes