Clearing a track`s sample assignment

Agreed. Bolandross’ scenario is exactly the problem at hand. Has nothing to do with parts of whether you’ve used up all 128 slots or not.

It’s a simple case of “is this Track being used” in this Bank. By always showing a sample slot (which probably has a sample assigned to it), there’s not way to know unless you go through all the patterns to find out.

It’s quite a common situation IMHO. But there are workarounds… which kinda work, but simply being able to un-assign a machine would be simplest and clearest.

By no means a deal breaker but just a workflow improver.

We need just a “No Machine”-Parameter in the Machine-Menue or a “000 No Sample” in the Slot-List. Cant believe those things are not solved after over two years. Same with NI Maschine where you can not create a “new template” oder “save projects as” from the controller. Basic things which should be integrated from the beginning :-/

This still hasn’t been “fixed”? :confused:

I don’t think this is a big deal, unless all your slots are full…:thinking:
As @rusty mentionned, you can assign an empty slot, by selecting a sample in a slot of your choice and clear it. You can also assign a recorder buffer (Recording 1-8), unless you use them all…:thinking:

Btw it is really hard for me to understand this as I’d like a 2nd OT for 8 + 8 + 8 more tracks (including recorders).

1 Like

I kind of don’t get the issue either. The only thing I’d like to see different would be func+clear in the slots page to clear the highlighted slot, would save a menu dive

1 Like

Let’s say you use each pattern (or bank) as a different song and one song has 6 samples another has 7, whatever. So in those examples you want the unused slots empty so when you’re playing live you don’t inadvertently trigger a sample that absolutely doesn’t belong to that song, sooooo… you just want to clear the slot and leave it empty. I’ve gone through the manual but it isn’t clear to me how to do this. If I use the EDIT menu and “clear slot” it seems to delete it from the project altogether. Obviously this isn’t what I would want. Seems to me like this shouldn’t be so complicated

With trigs 9-16? That is a good reason.

It is not that complicated. Another idea : choose a Thru machine without input selection. :slight_smile:

If you absolutely want an empty slot, choose an empty slot, load any sample and clear the slot (you have to load a sample if you want to select a slot).

1 Like

Thanks for the tips…
Your idea of loading a sample and then clearing it… but it prompts with “Delete Sample From Project?” which I assume means it erases the sample from the project entirely. So how does this help?

Don’t worry about that : you don’t need that sample in that slot, because you want it empty.
It doesn’t delete the same sample in other slots. It doesn’t delete the sample from the card.

1 Like

Ahhh… so they need to reword that prompt! So the sample stays in the pool. Thanks

1 Like

0wHG7

I dont know much about the Octa, yet, but here us a double tilde fir ya

Just think of it as a list of samples to be used in the project. Samples 1-128. It’s the same numbered list for any pattern/bank/part or anywhere using the OT, it doesn’t change, its the same list for the whole project. Maybe so far you’ve loaded 50 samples to slots 1-50, you have 78 empty slots. You don’t want to go clearing slot 5 or slot 17 or whatever unless you know your not using them anywhere in the project, instead you assign one of the empty slots. Maybe just leave slot 128 empty and use that for “no sample”, and you have 127 left to use.

2 Likes

If your unsure if the samples in the slots are being used in the project, the “Purge Samples” function will remove all unused samples from the project slots, they will remain on the CF card…

2 Likes

Perhaps my coffee hasn’t kicked in yet or I’m dense, but doesn’t setting a flex or static machine to its respective track recorder do away with the sample assigned to it? Works for me

1 Like

The OT doesn’t let me assign a blank slot. It forces you to add a file. If I try to assign a blank it just reverts to the sample that was already there

Just set that track to its recorder buffer. No sample required

2 Likes

This is a decent workaround, thanks.

:wink:

You can clear the slot after. Easy hack.

Exactly what I did for a test. :wink:

I thought about this too, but there is something special about this : you can’t purge the first 8 slots! @rusty found the explanation : by default, the first 8 Static or Flex slots are assigned to all parts of all banks. You can’t purge them. (without Octaedit :wink:)

2 Likes

What about this?

what about firmware 1.4 :wink: