Clearing a track`s sample assignment

If i want to remove a sample assigned to a track?
Something like unassign. I want to keep the sample in the slot list, but “empty” the track. Is this possible?

I would like to know that, too!

Assign to an empty slot maybe?

http://www.elektronauts.com/t/remove-assigned-track-sample/8280

Sounds simple, but how do you do that?

Also, in the thread which Speedball refrenced, rikrak says:

So … :smiley: please help and tell me how this is done!

If I select an empty slot, the UI always directs me to the selection dialogue where I can select a sample. By using the the search function on the Octatrack manual and Merlins PDF, I couldn’t find anything related to that /-:

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Sorry, what are you asking?

Say you have Flex001 : ClappyClap.wav

You want to empty the sample slot? So have Flex001 : empty

Or you want to keep the sample in the slot, but clear all trigs? So still have Flex001 : ClappyClap.wav, but remove all trigs / sample locks?

1 Like

First, deleting the sample from the slot list is meaningless because i do not want to delete the sample from the slot list.

Second, as bolandross explains its not possible to select an empty slot because its get redirected to where you are forced to assign a sample.

Third, it sucks big time. And should be fixed 10 years ago :wink:

Thanks for the clarification…

No, but you can clear the slot, and then you are left with an empty slot.

It is a better UI/UX implementation being forced to select a slot, rather then not, and how I would have implemented it as well

Well, yes.

This is what I want at least: having no sample assigned to the machine, showing the tilde.

In my opinion, this makes it a lot easier on the first sight of a part/pattern, to see which tracks aren’t used and can be recycled for additions, instead of having machines all armed with samples, not knowing if there are trigs and therefore if the machine is really used or just “collecting dust”.

Okay, so we all agree that "assign an empty Slot" is an instruction that is not applicable (as suggested by rikrak in the thread referenced by Speedball)

Second attempt: Clearing the sample from the slot list, as suggested by Rusty:

The problem I see here, is that all machines which once relied on the sample in that slot, will be emptied then, which can be very dangerous (at least for me, haha)

A simple placeholder, a function to reset machine (to tilde ;D) would be great for this purpose, but that’s just my opinion.

Thanks for participating and trying to find a solution, guys.

I agree that a function to reset machine to tilde or at least unassign a sample from a track should be pretty basic feature.

Clearing the sample from the slot list can potentially damage the whole project so its not really an option.

I don’t quite understand what you’re trying to achieve, so um, yeah.

1 Like

I want to unassign or remove a sample that has been assigned to a track/machine. (without affecting the slot list)

Tracks and machines are different things.

A Machine always has a sample assigned, so if you want to unassign a sample, then you just need to select a different assignment.

Tracks you would need to manually, or automatically reassign any trigs that invoke the slot assignment.

I know what you mean and it is annoying. Like you said, you don’t know if that sample is in use or not.

A simple comparison would be on the RYTM, you can set the slot of OFF and then at a glance you know that it’s not in use.

I guess the only solution is to assign it to a different machine like Thru or Pickup - that way you might know at a glance. Eg: I rarely use pick up machines so if it’s set to that I generally know I’m not using it and it’s empty.

Bad UI design IMHO.

Yes been trying to do this too, with no success…now know why…u cant…

Exactly. Same solution here.

At least we dont have to waste any more time trying to find out…

Sorry if I am not that trained in using the Octatrack termininology (when not working daily with sets, projects, patterns, tracks, machines, parts, scenes, trigs, trigless trigs, samples, locks, etc. it’s easy to confuse things), but isn’t this here showing a machine that has no sample assigned?

Sorry if I am not that trained in using the Octatrack termininology (when not working daily with sets, projects, patterns, tracks, machines, parts, scenes, trigs, trigless trigs, samples, locks, etc. it’s easy to confuse things), but isn’t this here showing a machine that has no sample assigned?

[/quote]
My apologies, misworded the above…

A Machine always has a Sample Slot assigned… whther the slot has a sample loaded or not is a different question…

Okay then I’m glad we managed to talk about the same thing.

We want to be able to assign an empty sample slot to a machine. :- D