Cleaning your synths

this is known to work particularly well with vintage roland gear,
a trick of the pro’s, such as it were. In fact I’d be surprised to learn there was a synth restoration outfit that wasn’t using powerwashers these days, just look at the results :slight_smile:

1 Like

This post needs a trigger warning. :sob:

1 Like

A Swiffer duster will do for most dusty areas. If it needed to be more thorough, I would try a dry or slightly humid microfibre tissue first. This should remove finger prints, too.

Persistent fat traces can be removed with a tiny bit of fat (e.g baby tissues, or microfibre tissue with a tiny bit of mild cream à la Nivea), however, be careful with this trick because I think this might leave traces on rubbery or matte plastic surfaces.

2 Likes

That’s ShamWow levels of clean

1 Like

Now let me tell you a little about media blasting and how it can benefit your business…

I was going to say I’d avoid using it personally unless you need to remove serious gunk - I used acetone to clean up my Prophet knobs as they were sticky and smelled like smoke (I bought it used) - I left them overnight in a bowl of nail polish remover and they came out great, have stayed that way too! But I wouldn’t use anything that aggressive on plastic especially, same with WD-40 tbh (which is a water dispersant) - now if you want to get your plastics nice and greasy you want a silicone based lubricant. I’m not sure why you’d want to do that but I’m not here to judge.

1 Like

Food grade mineral oil and hundreds of wooden cotton swabs. One side of the swab is kept dry, getting rid of excess oil if any :robot:

Careful with these. They often tend to shed bristles.

1 Like

Big +1. If you haven’t tried one of these (regardless of the brand), try them out. Advertised as “dust magnets” but this is really what they do (and brushes don’t).

If you use edible vinegar, it is best to go for non-sugary and to heavily dilute it with water. Vinegar alone seems pretty aggressive on rubber and matte plastic, especially if you want to keep it esthetic.

1 Like

Plus it would have the bonus of making it smell like chips

2 Likes

And it would make bass sounds crunchier :slight_smile:

Vinegar is an excellent disinfectant.

2 Likes