Cleaning up sounds from my Synth

I’ve recorded maybe 4 loops into my Digitakt, from my Minilogue.

They are each 4 bars long and my playing isn’t perfect, is there anyway to quantise it? I guess not.

Also when they all play, the sound is quite murky. How would I go about cleaning it up? Is the amp envelopes my friend in this case? Should I have somehow eq’ed it while recording?

I guess it would help to only re-trigger different parts of the clip at the relevant time, rather than playing the whole thing start to finish right?

Thanks
James

Easiest way is probably to play it as tight as possible while you’re recording. As you mentioned, you could cut each loop into four one bar samples, and sequence those to start on each bar.

Regarding the mixing and murky sound, I can only recommend trying to fix this during sound design and arrangement. It’s normally due to sounds occupying the same frequency space. Each part needs ‘space’ in either time or frequency. So for four parts, you may want to have a bass, 2 complementary mid parts and high part. Especially try to avoid two parts being long sustained pads in the mid-low frequency range. Melodies with shorter notes can help.

Maybe try recording/looping one part at a time, and making sure they all sound good together before recording.

2 Likes

Most straightforward way to quantize it would be to record the midi notes into one of the DT midi tracks and then send that midi track back to the synth and then sample the DT playing your minilogue

Or if you know what notes are being played where- you could just plug the notes into the sequence!(different ease for different people)

ok great, thanks for that advice guys!