Cleaning out DT but not losing projects?

I’d like to remove a ton of samples from my DT to free up some space, but I want to make sure my process will work. I read this thread, but it didn’t quite answer my question.

I know that when backing up a project via Transfer, it collects all the samples and sounds in the project. When opening those project files (via 7zip) I can see that the samples are still in the same folder structure as it is on the DT itself.

Is it safe to assume that if I backup ALL of my projects, I could then delete all of the samples on my DT, but then when I copy the project backups back, the samples will all end up in the same folders?

Thanks!

2 Likes

I did this too!

1 Like

So then the answer is “YES IT WORKS!”?

1 Like

Hello,

It is my understand that when you save your projects on a hard drive, then the samples are saved as well. However, if you then delete those samples from your plus drive, when you reload those projects, the samples will get reloaded into the plus drive into one big folder. So your samples won’t be organized in the same way on the plus drive. Again i have not done this but this is my understanding.

1 Like

The organization of the samples in DT is a user thing, as are tags. Projects will find their samples wherever they are on the machine.

I would advise to do a quick test with a new project and e.g. 8 samples, backing up, erasing, then putting them back.

1 Like

That’s how it used to be. Now, if you use Transfer, it collects the samples into the dtprj file, which is basically a ZIP.

How did it go?

1 Like

yes, tell us! :stuck_out_tongue:

I thought the project had a copy of each sample in the sample pool (or if it called sound pool?).

I’m pretty sure I’ve deleted samples in the sample browser and then opened projects that used those samples, which worked because each sample used in s project was copied inside it.

@Total @Jeanne

Haven’t done it yet! Hopefully this week. I’ll follow up when I do!

1 Like

I’ve done it before and it works very well. First copy all projects to computer. After deleting all samples from Digitakt and copying your projects back onto the +drive you get to choose if your missing samples go into one big folder or restored to the original folder. If original folders are gone they get recreated.

2 Likes

Yup! Did it today and it worked!

1 Like

Might give this a go, you all end up ok?lol

I did it a few weeks back. It works.