Class compliant usb on digitone?

Heres a few maybe lazy questions, but i cannot find the answers by searchengine:

-Is the usb port on digitone class compliant?
-can you charge a phone or power a midi controller through it?

I want to power a bastl kastle 1.5 through it :slight_smile:

If it was class compliant you could connect it to an iPad and run Midi and Audio in to AUM. That would be AMAZING! Same for Digitakt too.

Yeah, class compliance should be mandatory in 2018 :slight_smile:

Buy i guess dt and dn is not?

DT is class compliant (MIDI, not audio) – works fine with my iPad via the CCK . I guess DN is the same.

1 Like

i dont think its got the right usb socket to charge from , but ive never tried.
i think my ipad looses charge when i use it on my digitakt.

but using camera connect kit you can plug it into ipad though i suspect its becuase its got its own power.
midi controllers/sequencers work well.

Yes, USB MIDI is working fine on my DN to iPad. It’s the audio that would be a game changer.

Woah there! We can’t even stream audio to our computers yet…

1 Like

I know, just dreaming :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am a bear of little brain… are people saying you can send midi out over usb from a DT?
this would be really useful for something I just started building, but I thought I’d looked and this wasn’t a thing… I may be losing my marbles……

yes

1 Like

brilliant, thanks - was building a little teensy controlled usb midi SID synth last night and was thinking I wouldn’t be able to control it with the DT.

excellent news.

3 Likes

Reviving this thread for a minute. Am I to understand that, as long as I have an adapter to go from my USB MIDI keyboard to the USB port of the DN, I can control the unit that way? I was looking into the Keith McMillen KBoard as a small controller for 2 octaves? Since the KB isn’t battery powered, would it still work?

No, the Digitone/Digitakt is not a USB host. Class compliant in this case refers to the USB over MIDI capability from the DN/DT - it is class compliant but needs a host to connect to.

(Keith McMillen has some USB host hardware, but I’m not sure if that’s a functionality of their simpler MIDI controllers)

3 Likes

Thanks, @Ess.

Simon,

If the DN/DT can receive MIDI over USB, does that mean it COULD receive MIDI from a USB keyboard if the keyboard was powered, or does the MIDI need to come through a computer first?

From the manual: Sending MIDI note values from an external MIDI device (a MIDI keyboard or a computer, for example) connected to the Digitone via a standard MIDI cable or a USB 2.0 A to B connector cable can trigger some of the Digitones functions.

No, it cannot host USB devices. The Digitone is a USB device and connects to a USB host, for example a computer - just like a USB MIDI Keyboard. It doesn’t have anything to do with power.

2 Likes

Gotcha. Makes sense. With all the USB MIDI controllers out there, maybe one day it’ll work on a new Elektron box :slight_smile:

I have a further question on this topic. Can I use the DT or A4 to send midi from C6 on my PC to another device? I need to install a firmware syx file and I was thinking I could avoid buying a dedicated MIDI-USB-dongle, eg. Roland UM-ONE mk2.

1 Like

No you cannot