Clarifying sample re-trig functionality

Forgive me for being such ignorant. I´ve seen/read about people doing all kinds of simple programs in MAX. But for anyone else who may like to use them, what´s needed to be able to run them?

Forgive me for being such ignorant. I´ve seen/read about people doing all kinds of simple programs in MAX. But for anyone else who may like to use them, what´s needed to be able to run them?[/quote]
Nothing, patches can be saved as standalones

I don’t enjoy easter eggs that much anymore, I need manuals to read :wink: I still have a burning question that really can’t wait untill I have studiotime alone to experiment:

[b]Cocker wrote

[/b]
Handy tip for quick use, if you start with RTIM fully clockwise and then push and turn the encoder you will get values that are sub-divisions of a bar at the current tempo (8.0, 4.0, 2.0, 1.0, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64). If you start with the RTIM fully counter-clockwise and push and turn you will get values related to triplets

When the encoder is fully clockwise it quantizes the values to sub divisions. CHECK!
But, does going fully counter clockwise and pushing the encoder actually changes the way the the RTIM behaves until you reverse the setting by going clockwise fully and push the encoder again?
If this is true I need some time to experiment with parts and how this is all controllable with parts (for example).

Happy experimentation times ahead, but too little of it.

Aaaaand the 1st price for ignorance gooooooes to:

miiiiiiiiketheeeeemaaaaaan!

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(@ husc: thanks!)

I don’t enjoy easter eggs that much anymore, I need manuals to read :wink: I still have a burning question that really can’t wait untill I have studiotime alone to experiment:

[b]Cocker wrote

[/b]
Handy tip for quick use, if you start with RTIM fully clockwise and then push and turn the encoder you will get values that are sub-divisions of a bar at the current tempo (8.0, 4.0, 2.0, 1.0, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64). If you start with the RTIM fully counter-clockwise and push and turn you will get values related to triplets

When the encoder is fully clockwise it quantizes the values to sub divisions. CHECK!
But, does going fully counter clockwise and pushing the encoder actually changes the way the the RTIM behaves until you reverse the setting by going clockwise fully and push the encoder again?
If this is true I need some time to experiment with parts and how this is all controllable with parts (for example).

Happy experimentation times ahead, but too little of it.[/quote]
You mean like it would toggle between these two options? When going either counterclockwise or normal and the pushing as to confirm which you are selecting?

I´m not sure, good point.

Forgive me for being such ignorant. I´ve seen/read about people doing all kinds of simple programs in MAX. But for anyone else who may like to use them, what´s needed to be able to run them?[/quote]
It depends how they are shared - for the above example (it’s not a standalone, it’s a collective) you’ll need Max Runtime

edit: for some reason my embedded links to the page are being removed - so you’ll need to go here manually

http://cycling74.com/downloads/runtime/

edit 2: see below first, file has since been changed

my bad! didn’t realize it was a collective app and not a standalone. Just exported it as a standalone and re-uploaded it to the files section.

[quote="“miketheman”"]

You mean like it would toggle between these two options? When going either counterclockwise or normal and the pushing as to confirm which you are selecting?

I´m not sure, good point.[/quote]
Cocker explained it perfectly, no toggle! You push the encoder and it snaps to either whole divisions of a bar or triplets depending on starting clockwise or counter-clockwise. Sorry for the confusion and thanks a million for the tip.

1 Like

Just to throw some more info in here: I’ve been getting a lot of use out of microtime retrigs lately. I’m not sure that I’ve labeled it correctly, but what I mean is:

Hold a trig and hit left or right to adjust microtime. While still holding the trig you can then hit up or down to adjust retrig values that I believe are unrelated to the Parameter page settings.

It’s been valuable for adding quick flams and such while I’m adjusting microtime values.

1 Like

You mean in realtime (performance)?

You mean in realtime (performance)?[/quote]
Considering I don’t arrange or compose any music before hand, yes. I only work with my elektrons in an improv live setting.
Maybe I’m misunderstanding the question?

You mean in realtime (performance)?[/quote]
Considering I don’t arrange or compose any music before hand, yes. I only work with my elektrons in an improv live setting.
Maybe I’m misunderstanding the question?[/quote]
Not at all, I´m just impressed that you actually not only ads quick flams in performance but adjusting microtime at the same time, which I guess gives a lot of possible variations?

It’s relatively quick to be honest. Hold trig hit left or right for your offset and then up to place a 2trig count (or more if you want) . After a pass you can just double tap the trig to get back to original state .

I don’t use it a ton, as the retrig on playback does the same and more, but I use it from time to time if I’m already in the micro timing screen and feel the need.

1 Like

A nice thing about microtiming retrigs is they also retrigger LFOs and envelopes.

3 Likes

@Ihatederekreed thanks for this hint.
This is getting better and better…

I generally plock them as well, however, I don’t really play live, it could be really nice for that…just don’t forget you set it or you may be scratching your head on why a trigger is acting weird :wink:

Bit late replying to this. Just noticed the numbers were different on the way up than they were on the way back down. Had to be for a reason. The numbers just looked kind of familiar or something and it sounded that way too.

Yes, this is very important. I realised this tonight.
With Microtiming Trig Counts, you can make more subtle granular things with Amp Atk/Rel (Hold=0), Filter Env and Lfos.

1 Like

risefromyourgrave

So this is a really basic thing, but since I rarely use the trig count parameter in the microtiming menu I haven’t figured it out by trial and error, the manual doesn’t say anything about it that I’ve found and I’ve had no luck with Google or searching the forum (which is how I ended up in this thread) I’ll just ask:

How exactly is the timing between the trigs determined when trig count is set higher than one?

2 Likes

I think of it as a step division.
With trig counts the trig is repeated, according to a related step division. But I’m not sure for 5 and 7 because it doesn’t correspond to ticks.

A step is 24 ticks.
Trig count 2 > 12 + 12
Tc 3 > 8 + 8 + 8
Tc 4 > 6 + 6 + 6 + 6
Tc 5 > 24/5 +…?
Tc 6 > 4 + 4 + 4 + 4 + 4 + 4
Tc 7 > 24/7 +…?
Tc 8 > 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 3

2 Likes