Clarification on Banks and Parts before I accidentally delete something

The manual states that each bank hosts 4 parts. Are those individual parts? As in, with 16 banks and 4 parts per bank, I could have 64 unique parts? Setting up samples for a live show and trying to decide if I should split it over a few banks so I can have more samples easily accessible.

Yes, 4 parts per bank, 64 parts

One way to get a feel for it is to create a dummy project, load it with samples, a few patters per bank, etc. Start copy and pasting parts between banks.

Remember you can pLock samples too

3 Likes

Yes, each bank has its own 4 parts, took me a year to realize that and was shocked… Be aware that when you go to a new bank with the new parts, the machines always default to the first 8 sample slots which are always the same and not different per part. So for example in bank A you have a flex on track one assigned to sample slot one, when you go to bank B and assign a flex to track one, it will be assigned the same sample. Don’t change the sample of sample slot one as it will be changed in Bank A as well, instead assign the new flex to sample slot 9 for example and load your new sample there…
Once a part is where you like it, save it, then you can mess with it more and reload if you don’t like…
Have fun!

6 Likes

Thanks to both of you. Super awesome.

2 Likes

Hi guys,

Firstly, I’m new here so let me introduce myself/

I’m Lucien Foort, DJ & producer from the Netherlands. With projects like Quadrophonia, Funk Function, Dutch Liquid, Bleeep and more, I’ve played a lot and have been doing this for a while.

For some reason I’ve never decided to go ‘live’ until recently and should’ve done so earlier. I’m trying to bridge a gap between new & oldschool techniques

With the risk of repeating anything that might be posted elsewhere… Why is there a 4 part limit in the Octatrack?

i’d prefer to have more parts so I can do smoother transitions from patterns to banks… At least in the way I work with my octa…

An idea of what I do… At 23mins

I like that in the middle of your promotional ad, you’ve asked a question :wink:

1 Like

Not trying to do any promo Neon… Just wanted to share what it is I do.

Loved your djing over the years, welcome.

Thanks Cosmic

Each bank has four parts. So you have 64 parts in total.

1 Like

Hi Peter,

Thanks for replying. Yes I do realize that. I wouldn’t mind more parts per bank as I love to add and take out more stuff for the next bank really…

Scenes are great for adding and taking out more stuff in any given Part. 16 scenes per Part add a lot to the workflow for live.

1 Like

I’m starting to consider using less patterns per bank and switching banks more often to have less patterns with the same part. For me it’s enough to use 8 patterns per bank/2 patterns per part x 16 banks. Then if I fill it I’ll just reuse the parts with the empty patterns or start a new project…

Have done that also Peter. I have 16 banks full with songs that I’m stripping down as i move up the patterns, gradually introducing sounds
from the next bank :wink:

How do I go about creating seminal iconic tracks like this on my Octatrack? :totes:
Ps did you also create anasthasia t99?

Nope I did not. Oliver produced T99. We created Quadro together and that was morphed out of a project that was called Soul Patrol. Pfff, that was back in 88.

edit

I did do a live version of Quadro in my liveset :smiley:

1 Like

I bought cozmic jam back in 1990. actually, Quadrophonia was probably one of, if not the first techno track I heard at the age of 18 in a dinghy Melbourne club in 1990, just finishing school, alongside what time is love by the KLF and Total Confusion (A Homeboy, A Hippie and a Funky Dredd). It was the beginning of a long love affair with techno that persists until this day. So to have a casual chat with you here 27 years later is surreal, very unexpected but very much made my day.

Glad we still can! I think it’s a blessing to combine the oldschool ways with the new! Octa and A4 have given me that exactly!!! My whole live set is based around the OT. Sends MIDI to the minitaur and program changes to the a4. (Rigged an old AMT 8 to send out 8 midi outs)

1 Like

Yer a lot of the good folk are no longer with us. It will be great to hear more how you get along with the elektron gear.