Chorus pedal recomendation/query

Looking for a chorus pedal for my Mother 32. Recently been recording sequences from the M32 in to Ableton and using their chorus. I’ve noticed that you can ‘fix’ (whatever it means) on abletons chorus and it really compliments my style of music when I both fix and use a negative polarity…

My question is… Is there a stereo pedal that can do this? If so… what would you’s recommend? Hope i’ve explained it well enough. :+1:

Cheers.

1 Like

Deco has a very wide stereo chorus. Shallow Water isn’t stereo, but it can make a very nice wonky chorus/phaser range sounds with the mix set appropriately (with far more speed/depth options available). Maybe the Juno clone would be a good option? Blue Sky with the modulation setting is also pretty nice.

I’ve been enjoying this one, check out the cool label. Sounds good. The chorus patches in the Korg DRV-2000 sound good too.

1 Like

When you set Ableton’s Chorus to ‘Fix’, only delay 1 gets modulated, delay 2 is set to a fixed delay time.
Don’t know if there is any hardware chorus that let’s you do that.

1 Like

I’m glad someone knew what those Ableton functions were doing and could advise! :+1:

In terms of pedals that can cover it: I’m selling a Source Audio Gemini which can more than likely do it, because you can fully customise and load humdreds of presets using the app…

In terms of pedals that can’t do that exact thing, but have a glorious sound… To my ears, the Boss Dimension C Waza just sounds super pretty!

Yeah, the fixed delay option isn’t what the Juno chorus does, that uses the same modulation for two signals and inverts one and mixes it 50-50 with the dry signal - IIRC.

The Boss Waza Craft DC-2w is an absolutely wonderful sounding chorus/spatializer. Highly recommend. The CE-2w is more of a conventional classic chorus, sounds lovely but is possibly best when using the mixed mono output. It modulates one signal and leaves the other “dry”. I made some demos of those two in another thread.

The boss ce micro rack can be had for a out fifty notes and that’s got an amazing sound.

Excellent. Thanks for the replies people.

Im gonna have to do a little more research. I’d buy ANY stereo chorus pedal that had the same functions as Abletons. Feel like it gives such nice vibes to my stuff and would much rather not have to do it in the box. Hopefully theres something!

Maybe you can find one that gives control over both delay lines (2x delay time and modulation rate and depth for both) + high pass filter and envelope which Ableton‘s Chorus also has. Then you could turn mod depth completely down which would let you have a fixed delay time.
Ableton‘s Chorus also lets you switch off the second delay line and ofc has negative/positive feedback.

Maybe also check 19“ rack stuff, some 80/90s rack mount gear were pretty versatile.

not in Stereo but both are really really great, especially together :drooling_face:

I would highly recommend the moogerfooger cluster flux , however it is serious ££

1 Like

Or in eurorack the Mimeophon! :slight_smile:

As it is a dual delay, you can use an Eventide TimeFactor (not the ModFactor) to do the type of chorus where you modulate the delay time of one signal and not the other. I don’t think you can invert anything but it sounds really good. I’ll see if I can find a demo online.

1 Like

Come to think of it, you could probably build a chorus like that (one fixed delay, one modulated delay, blend with dry signal - don’t think there’s a phase invert “virtual module” though) reasonably accurately in a Roland Aira Modular FX unit. They are eurorack compatible but work standalone.

2 Likes

Cheers mate. Gonna have a week or so researching to see what the crack is with them. Heres hoping it’s successful.

2 Likes

That’s actually a really good idea!

These are the available modules;
LFO, ADSR, NOISE, SAMPLE & HOLD, RING MOD, FILTER 6 dB, FILTER 12 dB, TONE, AMP, MIXER, STEREO MIXER, CURVE CONV, GATE DIVIDER, TRIG TO CV DELAY TIME, MIDI CLOCK TO GATE, SHORT DELAY, TUBE CLIP, COMPRESSOR, NOISE GATE, 3 BAND EQ, LOGIC OPERATION, CROSS FADER, SWITCHER, ENVELOPER, TRIGGER TO LFO RATE CV, FILTER 18dB, FILTER 24dB, FORMANT FILTER, SAW OSCILLATOR, SQR OSCILLATOR, MIDI NOTE TO CV/GATE

There are some solid choruses in the presets. I’m really a fan of the aira modular effects, I think they’re clever, sound good and are extremely powerful for the money.

1 Like

strymon deco!

Hey finalform. I dont remember if youre an octatrack user, but if so have you compared this chorus to the OT chorus?

Edit: the motivation is for running my rev2 thru tue chorus into the OT. The chorus on the rev2 doesnt really do it for me:).

1 Like

I do have an OT but it’s not actively in my setup at the moment. From memory, it’s not much like the DC-2w / Dimension-D chorus at all. I’m not sure if there’s another pedal that nails that effect (there are a few plugin emulations). I could maybe record a test but not for a few days at least!

1 Like